autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ Advance Engine Performance
157591

1991 chevy lumina: new plug wires, coil packs..O2 sensor..fuel pump

Customer Question

1991 chevy lumina v-6 new plugs, new plug wires, coil packs and the thing that sits behind the coil packs. New O2 sensor and coolant sensor, new fuel pump and filter (six months ago). I'm going down the road and it just quits running! I tow it home, It will start and run for about two minutes then just stop. I replaced the fuel filter and the same thing. No sputtering or anything just stops. It will not crank for about five minutes, but then it cranks right up and runs for about a minute or two and stops. I went to the filter and disconnected the line from the tank side and turned on the key and the fuel pump pumped about a quart of gas. (As soon as it stopped) WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS?
Category: Car
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 10 years ago.

You may be loosing the crank signal. The crnakshaft position sensor determines when the coils should fire and if they should fire. Here is a picture of the sensor.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to autodoc_2000's Post: I bought the part and am in the process of installing it. (It takes 5000 tiny hands to do it)sic. If this takes care of the problem I'll release the money if not I'll let you know.