Fordanswerman, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0

my automatic transmission is not going into gear in ...

my automatic transmission is not going into gear in overdrive, it revs instead. The lower gears seem fine. 1990 ford mustang LX 5.0 No apparent leakage. What could it be?

Thanks for your question!

Have you checked the fluid level and condition in the trans?

Has any work been done to the vehicle lately?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: The car just came out of the shop yesterday! $1354 later, this is what they did. Power steering rack, power steering pump, four wheel alignment, brake work, reseal headlights, man gasket (his writing, hopefully you know what that is), and fluids. I just purchased the car, so I had them go through it completely, top to bottom. Car is mint except for original paint, and there has been no leakage in the tranny. They cleaned the bottom of the car to look for any leakage of anything. I can't find my owners manual, so I'm not real sure where the transmission dipstick is to check the fluid. Could it be something as simple as that, I hope!

The dipstick will be on the passengers side of engine close to the firewall.

Checking the fluid level is very important.

Also check at the throttle body for a broken grommet for the trans TV cable. You should have 3 cables going to the TB. The accelerator cable, the cruise cable if you have cruise control, and the trans cable. There is a little grommet that will deteriate on thes older vehicles and will cause shifting concerns if this falls off. If it is missing or bad, replace the grommet.