Tim Basham
Tim Basham, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  30 year multi line tech ASE cert master tech ASE engine machinist. Specializing in 4WD +++
745518

no compression after timing belt change

2000 Jetta 2.0 Automatic - WaterPump froze-up and of course took out the timing belt.
What is the best way to set TDC to besure you are on the compression stroke? The settings went off when the belt lost all of the teeth. I can not get any compression in any cylinder. I have the cam lined up with the arrow and the crank pulley lined up and the #1 piston up. I have heard that you can damage a valve or piston when the belt goes, but to have no compression in any cylinder? I hope I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Customer
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Basham replied 8 years ago.
from what I am finding you have a interferance motor so most likely it did bend valves when belt stripped. Below is the procedure for setting timing for you
1.8L (ACC) and 2.0L (ABA) Engines

NOTE: Do not turn the engine or camshaft with the camshaft drive belt removed. The pistons will contact the valves and cause internal engine damage.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the accessory drive belts, crankshaft pulley and the timing belt cover(s).
  2. Temporarily reinstall the crankshaft pulley bolt, if removed, and turn the crankshaft to Top Dead Center (TDC) of No. 1 piston. The mark on the camshaft sprocket should be aligned with the mark on the inner drive belt cover, if equipped, or the edge of the cylinder head.
  3. On 8-valve engines, the notch on the crankshaft pulley should align with the dot on the intermediate shaft sprocket. With the distributor cap removed, the rotor should be pointing toward the No. 1 mark on the rim of the distributor housing.
  4. Loosen the locknut on the tensioner pulley and turn the tensioner counterclockwise to relieve the tension on the timing belt.
  5. Slide the timing belt off the sprockets.

To install: Camshaft timing belt sprocket TDC alignment mark — Volkswagen 1.8L (ACC) and 2.0L (ABA) engines

Align the flywheel (A) or driveplate (B) as shown for TDC alignment for cylinder No. 1 — Volkswagen 1.8L (ACC) and 2.0L (ABA) engines

When the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC, the ignition rotor should face the notch in the distributor housing — Volkswagen 2.0L (ABA) engine

6. Install the new timing belt and tension the belt so that it can be twisted 90 degrees at the middle of its longest section, between the camshaft and intermediate sprockets.
  7. Recheck the alignment of the timing marks, if correct, turn the engine 2 full revolutions to return to TDC of No. 1 piston. Recheck belt tension and timing marks. Readjust as required. Tighten the tensioner nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  8. Reinstall the belt cover and accessory drive belts.

NOTE: When running the engine, there will be a growling noise that rises and falls with engine speed if the belt is too tight.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Tim Basham's Post: That is for an older motor, there is no rotor or intermediate shaft. My other daughter has that setup on her 95 jetta. This is an automatic I can't see a spot to see the flywheel.

the only other diagram is the 2.0aeg beetle motor but here it is

2.0L (AEG) 4-Cylinder Engine — Beetle

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the necessary components to gain access to the front of the engine.
  3. Remove the serpentine drive belt by performing the following procedure:

1. Using an open-end wrench, rotate the serpentine drive belt tensioner clockwise to relieve the belt tension. Using tool 3090 or a drift awl, lock the tensioner in place.
    2. Remove the serpentine drive belt.

4. Remove the drive tensioner from the engine.
  5. Rotate the crankshaft to position the No. 1 cylinder on Top Dead Center (TDC) of its compression stroke.
  6. Remove the upper timing belt cover.

NOTE: If the camshaft sprocket is not aligned with its timing mark, rotate the crankshaft 1 complete turn until the crankshaft and camshaft timing marks align.

7. Install the Engine Support tool 10-222A with Leg tools and support the weight of the engine.
  8. From the front of the engine, remove the engine mount and bracket which will interfere with the timing belt removal.
  9. Mark the rotational direction of the timing belt for reinstallation purposes.
  10. Remove the vibration damper-to-crankshaft sprocket bolts and the damper.
  11. Remove the center and lower timing belt covers.
  12. Release the timing belt tensioner and remove the timing belt. View of crankshaft damper aligned with the timing mark — Volkswagen 2.0L (AEG) 4-Cyl. engine — Beetle

View of camshaft damper aligned with the timing mark — Volkswagen 2.0L (AEG) 4-Cyl. engine — Beetle

Adjusting the timing belt tensioner — Volkswagen 2.0L (AEG) 4-Cyl. engine — Beetle

To install:

13. Make sure that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are aligned.
  14. Install the timing belt, with the arrow pointing in the direction of rotation, on the crankshaft sprocket, the water pump sprocket and the camshaft sprocket.
  15. Install the lower and center timing belt covers.
  16. Install the vibration damper and torque the damper-to-crankshaft sprocket bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  17. Using the 2-Hole Tensioning tool T-10020, rotate the timing belt tensioner counterclockwise until notch 1 and indicator 2 align. Then, tighten the timing belt tensioner nut to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  18. Rotate the crankshaft 2 complete revolutions and recheck the timing marks.
  19. Install the upper timing belt cover.
  20. Install the engine bracket and torque the bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  21. Install the engine mount and torque the mount-to-bracket bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm) plus 90 degree turn ( 14 turn), the mount-to-body bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) and the mount-to-engine bracket bolts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm) plus 90 degree turn ( 14 turn).
  22. Install the timing belt tensioner and torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  23. Complete the installation by reversing the removal procedures.
  24. Test drive the vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
2000 Jetta 2.0, Water pump locked up and took out the timing belt. I have a manual that shows setting the cam marks with the crank mark. No matter how I line them up there is no compression. If I have the cam lined up I can pop the belt off spin the crank 360 reconnect the belt and still no compression. Everything seems to rotate normally. If I had valve or piston damage should I not feel something during rotation.

Thanks, Customer

Most likely you have bent valves the fact that you feel nothing when rotating engine is normal the fact that the cam shaft would have to be in the same position to make the valves contact the pistons as it did when the timing belt broke. Also once the valves are bent it is very hard for them to be in the position for them to hit.You can to a cyl leak down test but that requires a special tool and access to a air compressor. this pressurizes the cyl 1 at a time and will let you know where you are losing compression. It is best to remove rocker arms when doing this so you know the valves are in the closed position. The other thing is that the valve can be bent only a few thousands and bee a problem. You may be able to get a leak down tester at your local discount auto parts store alot of them have tool loan programs.

Experience: 30 year multi line tech ASE cert master tech ASE engine machinist. Specializing in 4WD +++