Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

1997 cadillac deville. The gas gauge reads empty with tank ...

Customer Question

1997 cadillac deville. The gas gauge reads empty with tank half full. I have replaced the sending unit in the fuel tank. The gauge changes a lot from E to 3 or 4. Before I replaced the sending unit it read full most of the time, until it was down to five gallons or less.
Category: Car
Expert:  James replied 10 years ago.

HiCustomer

I would check the condition and security of the float for your fuel sending unit.

-James

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: The float was replaced with the sending unit. The fuel gauge is digital. The reading is constantly changing, as if it is geting information from a computer. There is a unit on the left side of the instrument panel for average fuel milage and miles to go on fuel left in tank. Could this unit also control the fuel gauge reading?
Expert:  Steve replied 10 years ago.

hello!

there is a service bulletin from the manufacturer describing the symptoms you are experiencing since replacing the fuel sending unit on your Cadillac.

The resistance values through the sender are absolutely critical to proper gauge operation. GM has released a kit to correct the erratic gauge operation you are describing since the sender was replaced; if you installed an aftermarket sender or a GM one of the incorrect part number (one that is not the latest design revision) that is likely the cause of what you are experiencing. Installing fuel level sender kit part#25314217 from your local Gm dealer should resolve the problem.

Here is an excerpt from a long TSB detailing various fuel gauge problems and their corrective actions. The TSB is #73-63-14.

____________________________________

Bulletin No.: 73-63-14

Date: June, 1997

Subject:
Fuel Tank Will Not Fill to Capacity/Fuel Gauge Stays on Full for Extended Period or Fluctuates (Replace fuel level sensor and/or Fuel Tank)

Models:

1997 Cadillac Concours, DeVille, d'Elegance, Eldorado, Seville

Condition

Some owners may comment on the following condition(s) relative to the fuel system:

C.
Fuel gauge reading is erratic (does not include minimal fluctuation noted during normal operating maneuvers such as braking, turning, or accelerating).

Cause

Condition C may be caused by inaccurate resistor values in the fuel level sensor

Correction

For Condition C

Replace fuel level sensor and float arm assembly on the fuel sender assembly with fuel level sensor kit, P/N 25314217

________________________________

I hope this is helpful to you; if so, please click my accept button! thanks!

Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: The sending unit was replaced with GM #25314217 as in the service bulletin.