Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

1998 CHRYSLER: COOLING FANS..2) BY RADIATOR RECENTLY..WORKING...FUSES

Customer Question

1998 CHRYSLER TOWN/COUNTRY: COOLING FANS (2) BY RADIATOR RECENTLY QUIT WORKING. CANNOT FIND FUSES OR COULD IT BE SOMETHING ELSE.    HEELLP.
THANKS
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 10 years ago.

Good morning!

These models had a problem with faulty cooling fan relay modules causing the fans to stop operating. Many of them are covered under a service campaign (voluntary recall) by the manufacturer. Plugging a new part on will not correct the problem; new software must be installed in the vehicle's powertrain control module as part of the repair, so this is not something you can fix at home without special equipment to reprogram the vehicle's PCM.

I would suggest calling your local Chrysler dealer and mentioning the sevrvice campaign in the TSB, and asking them to run your VIN number to see if your vehicle is covered and whether the update has been performed yet. If it is covered, you can get it fixed for free.

Below is part of the TSB with reference number so that you can discuss this with the chrysler dealer service dept...

I hope this is helpful to you and answers your question; if so, please click my accept button! Thanks!

____________________________________

No. 771

May, 1998

To: XXXXX XXXXX and Chrysler-Plymouth Dealers

Subject:
Customer Satisfaction Notification # XXXXX -- radiator fan relay and Reprogram Powertrain control module

Models:
1998 Model Year Dodge Caravan and Grand Caravan; Plymouth Voyager and Grand Voyager; and Chrysler Town & Country (NS) Vehicles Equipped With a 2.4L, 3.3L or 3.8L Engine ("B", "G","R" or "L" in the 8th VIN Position) Built Through

November 26, 1997 (MDH 112623) at the St. Louis South Assembly Plant ("B" in the 11th VIN Position

December 1, 1997 (MDH 120109) at the Windsor Assembly Plant ("R" in the 11th VIN Position)

The radiator fan relay on about 150,000 of the above listed vehicles, may not turn on the radiator cooling fans. This may cause the engine to overheat. To correct this condition, the radiator fan relay must be replaced and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) must be reprogrammed (flashed).