Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.

How do I change a rear universal joint in a 2000 F150

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 8 years ago.

These instructions are from an older year vehicle but the U-joints change the same way.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Single Type U-Joint

ONE-PIECE DRIVESHAFT

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: One-piece driveshaft with a slip yoke

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Matchmark the driveshaft and yoke for balance reasons

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Removing the U-clamp

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Carefully separate the driveshaft from the yoke; a prytool may be needed for this

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: To keep the U-joint cups from falling off, a good practices is to tape the U-joint together

1. Matchmark the driveshaft yoke and axle pinion flange.

2. Remove the U-bolt nuts and U-bolts attaching the yoke to the axle flange.

3. Separate the yoke from the flange. It may be necessary to pry it free with a small prybar. Immediately after separation, wrap tape around the U-joint caps to keep them from falling off.

4. Slip the driveshaft off the transmission splines.

5. Installation is the reverse of removal. Align the yoke-to-flange matchmarks. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).

TWO-PIECE DRIVESHAFT/COUPLING SHAFT EXCEPT F-SUPER DUTY STRIPPED CHASSIS AND MOTOR HOME CHASSIS

See Figure 6

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Two-piece driveshaft with a slip yoke at the transmission end

4. Slip the driveshaft off the coupling shaft splines.

5. Remove the center bearing.

6. Slide the coupling shaft from the transmission shaft splines.

7. Clean all parts and check for damage. Do not remove the blue plastic coating from the male splines.

8. Installation is the reverse of removal. Coat the splines with chassis lube. Tighten the center bearing support bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm). Align the yoke-to-flange matchmarks. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to:

• 5/16 in.-18: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)

• 3/8 in.-18: 17-26 ft. lbs. (23-35 Nm)

• 7/16 in.-20: 30-40 ft. lbs. (41-54 Nm)

TWO OR THREE-PIECE DRIVE SHAFT-SUPER DUTY STRIPPED CHASSIS AND MOTOR HOME CHASSIS

See Figure 7

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Two-piece driveshaft with a fixed yoke at the transmission end

5. Remove the rearmost center bearing.

6. Remove the center driveshaft from its mating yoke.

7. Remove the next center bearing.

8. Remove the front driveshaft from the transmission splines.

9. Clean all parts and check for damage. Do not remove the blue plastic coating from the male splines.

10. Installation is the reverse of removal. Coat the splines with chassis lube. Tighten the center bearing support bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm). Align the yoke-to-flange matchmarks. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to:

• 5/16 in.-18: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)

• 3/8 in.-18: 17-26 ft. lbs. (23-35 Nm)