32roadster
32roadster, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Service Technician
720626

why does my car just stop running

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  32roadster replied 8 years ago.

What happens when the car quits? explain the situation please.

When was the last tune up made?

Did the "check engine" light come on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to 32roadster's Post: You asked me if a "chk engine" light came on. No it didn't. I had the CRV tuned up in January of this year.
What happens when the car quits? Well, it's like someone just turned the key off. The engine stops running. I then put the shift into nutral and try to start it again. It starts up and when I put it into gear...it quits again.
When you restarted it, did it fire right up?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to 32roadster's Post: When I tried to start it again it started and sounded fine. But when I put it in gear it would quit again.

What were the RPM's at before you put the car in gear?

What type of fuel do you run on the car?

I would check the distributor cap and rotor. If that looks fine, then I would have the ignition module checked. Autozone can check these for free.

I would check the battery voltage, both with the engine on and off, and I would also have the alternator checked.

• also get a timing light from someone or buy it. Hook it up & see if it flashes. You are not worried about checking the timing, just watching the 'flashes'.
  • rev the engine a little, watch the flashes, are they even, or does it seem to 'skip' some?

• while holding the button down on the timing light, and watching the flashes, put it in gear. Watch carefully as it dies. Does the light still flash as the engine quits, or does it instantly stop?
  • If the light keeps flashing, you can be assured you have spark, so if this happens it is most likely fuel related.

Another good idea would be to check the neutral safety switch operation.(this may be the culprit) It may get shorted when this happens, or it is just failing.

32roadster, Automotive Mechanic
Experience: Automotive Service Technician