Michael
Michael, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  21yrs.Foreign and domestic driveability diagnosis and repair/ ASE Cert./Fuel Injection Specialist.
311867

My car wont start or turn over and its said that the engine

Customer Question

My car wont start or turn over and its said that the engine is locked and no oil in the filter what could be wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
From your description it sounds like they have determined that the engine had low or no motor oil in it and it siezed,meaning that the internal mechanical moving engine parts were moving without lubrication,heated up and siezed.You may be fortunate and only have to replace the rod bearings on the bottom end.Have you had an oil change recently at a quick lube place or something?The vehicle should still be under warranty,but the warranty will not cover the engine being operated without oil in it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: if that is the case how much may it cost to replace the rod bearings on the bottom end on an estimate and will i also may need a new engine and if so how much is that on a estimate?
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
You'll have to call around for estimates for both jobs and prices for engines if required.The cost varies too greatly from shop to shop and engine prices vary greatly as well from one supplier to another.One shop may charge $60 an hour and another $95 an hour and still another $45 an hour.Same thing with the engine.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: how much on an estimate for the parts if replace the rod bearings or engine?
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
I can see you really want to hear the bad news,so here it is.Sitting where it is right now at the dealer i can tell you right now they will most likely tell you that an engine is needed,especially if the warranty is going to be maintained after repairs.The engine cost will be right around $6,000.The labor will be right around 21 hours depending on what else needs to be replaced on the long block.Their hourly rate is probably $90 an hour or more X 21 hours = $1,890 for labor alone.So,There it is,in a nutshell.Don't shoot the messenger.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Well I have the gmc protection plan that covers the engine but do you think they will replace it under that or tell me I have to pay on my own cause I dont have that kind of money or can I possibly try to persuade them? Do you think all of this was done by running out of oil in the engine did all this damage or could it likely be something else maybe?
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
I would think that you would have some kind of warning long before it siezed,like overheating,tapping or knocking from the engine etc.With the protection plan you should be OK.All of this is in foresite right now anyway.You do not have the full diagnosis yet,do you?Hopefully you kept some sort of record of oil changes or other services.You never did mention how many miles you had.Oil doesn't just leak out without noticing something like noise or spots all over the driveway etc.I'm relly interested to know what the final diagnosis is.Whether the main seal blew or the drain plug or filter came loose.etc.make sure you ask what the root cause was.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: it never overheated the gauge temperature was in the middle, no tapping or knocking against the engine but I have not got a full diagnose yet and I only had 46,000 miles on the vehicle but the night before this happened the low oil pressure light came on and I was gonna take it to the dealer the next day because that night I did hear like a loud noise against the engine but when I pulled off the next day the vehicle came slowly to a stop
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

Let me know how you make out and what you decide to do.Thanx for your question and good luck.