james neathery
james neathery, former grease monkey
Experience:  i used to work for sears, goodyear, and a private mechanic

2003 Volkswagen beetle: bulb..assembly..I took the black plastic nut

I have bought the bulb, but cannot figure out how to get the assembly out of the car body. I took the black plastic nut loose behind the asembly, but it doesn't seem to want to come out.

Optional Information:
2003 Volkswagen Beetle

Category: Car
Expert:  james neathery replied 10 years ago.
behind the panel there is a plastic nut, which you have already removed. Then you will need to gently prize the rear light out on the boot lid edge using a flat bladed screw driver. once the light unit is out, remove the light panel and replace the bulb. rebuild in reverse order.

if this method does not work, do not attempt to force the assembly as you might damage it.

good luck, let me know if this helps :)
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to james neathery's Post: By you saying "if this does not work, do not attempt to force the assembly as you might damage it" sounds to me like you don't know how to remove the assembly. I have done what you suggested. I need to know if there is something else to it, otherwise I'll just take it to the dealer.
i found some more information for you regarding tail light removal.

apparently there is a clip that holds the lens in place.
Locating the clip: The rear fender has two seams that end at the light lense, the inboard seam (the one closest to the hatch)is where you want to insert the table knife to pry the metal clip that holds the lens in place. Gently and carefully insert the knife blade directly at the seam and pry upward to release the lense. Once the clip releases pull the lens the rest of the way and remove the bulbs by turning the bulb holder sockets couter-clockwise. After this is done remove bulbs by slightly pushing down on the bulb and turning it counter-clockwise. The reinstall is reverse of the removal the procedure.

i've never replaced one of these myself; i'm giving you information that a mechanic gave me. if this information does not help you, you don't have to accept my answer.

good luck, let me know how it goes.