Michael
Michael, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  21yrs.Foreign and domestic driveability diagnosis and repair/ ASE Cert./Fuel Injection Specialist.
311867

The heater in my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee stopped working ...

The heater in my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee stopped working all the sudden yesterday. Today, I hit a bump in the road and the heater immediately started working full blast (which is what the switch was set on). It stopped minutes later. The heater will blow hot air very lightly when the vehicle is moving, but stops completely when at rest. Im assuming something is loose. Any ideas?

Optional Information:
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6

Already Tried:
Checked level in radiator due to a previous problem that required it to be flsuhed (heat also stopped then, but was fixed after flushed).

Do you mean the blower is not functioning correctly or the blower is fine and you have cold air coming out.You were not clear about that. Are you also aware that you offered one dollar for Expert help?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: The blower was blowing air at a very _very_ low level untoil I hit the bump. After that, the blower functioned at the level set on the switch (would go up and down when changed). When it reverted it went back to one level (very very low... barely able to feel it). The switch would then not affect the level it blowed at. The temp is not an issue. It is blowing at whatever temp set at.
The blower motor resistor is loose.There is a one dollar answer.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Is this something that I would be able to fix myself (being not very car savy)? If not, how much should this repair generally cost at a repair shop? I know this is another question... i'll add it in.
Blower motor in engine compartment.Check power and ground leads for good connection.Apply 12V to motor to see if it works.If it works you will need to remove and inspect control panel cable in jeep.

1. Remove the coolant overflow bottle retaining strap. Remove the coolant overflow bottle and bracket.

2. Disengage the blower motor wiring.

3. Remove the blower motor mounting fasteners.

4. Remove the blower motor.

5. Remove the blower motor fan from the motor shaft for access to the motor attaching nuts.

To install:

1. Install the blower motor fan on the motor shaft.

2. Install the blower motor and tighten the mounting fasteners.

3. Engage the electrical connection.

4. Install the coolant overflow bracket, bottle and retaining strap.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Loosen and remove the blower motor retaining bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Removing the blower motor from the vehicle

Removal & Installation

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Remove the bezel attaching screws

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Remove the control panel retaining screws ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: ... then remove the control panel from the dash

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Disengage the control panel electrical connectors

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the ash tray.

2. Remove the instrument panel bezel fasteners and remove the bezel.

3. If necessary, remove the clock.

4. If necessary, unfasten the radio retaining screws and remove the radio. Refer to this section for the proper procedure.

5. Remove the control panel screws, pull the panel outward and disconnect and tag the hoses, wires and cable.

6. Remove the control cable locking tab by using a small prytool to release the tab.

To install:

1. Engage the control cable and fasten the retaining tab.

2. Engage the hoses and wires, install the control panel and tighten the retaining screws.

3. Install the radio and clock. Refer to the proper procedure in this section.

4. Install the instrument panel bezel and fasteners then connect the negative battery cable. Check the control panel to verify proper operation

1. Remove the heater control panel as outlined in this section.

2. Remove the clip and the cable self-adjusting clip from the blend door lever at the bottom of the evaporator/blower housing.

3. Remove the cable by squeezing the tabs with needle nosed pliers, being careful not to break the housing.

To install:

1. Install the cable and attach the clip and self adjusting clip to the blend door lever.

2. Install the heater control panel as outlined in this section.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Removing the control cable locking tab

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: View of the control cable and ring