Michael
Michael, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  21yrs.Foreign and domestic driveability diagnosis and repair/ ASE Cert./Fuel Injection Specialist.
311867

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

Hello Lou!,Thanks for your question.Please don't forget to click my ACCEPT Button if my answer is helpful.Experts do not recieve a percentage of your deposit or offer unless you click our ACCEPT button.Experts receive a larger percentage of a Bonus than they do of the question value.So bonuses are GREATLY appreciated.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Without Air Conditioning

ALL MODELS

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the coolant recovery bottle.

3. Place a pan under the van and disconnect the heater intake and outlet hoses. Quickly remove and plug the hoses and support them in an upright position. Drain the coolant from the heater core into the pan.

CAUTION When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old. Remove the heater distributor duct-to-case attaching screws and the duct-to-engine cover screw. Remove the duct.

1. Remove the engine cover.

2. Remove all the instrument panel attaching screws.

3. Carefully lower the steering column. Raise and support the right side of the instrument panel. Refer to Suspension & Steering for further details.

4. Remove the defroster duct-to-case attaching screws and the two screws attaching the distributor to the heater case.

5. Disconnect the temperature door cable. Carefully fold the cable back and out of the way.

6. Remove the three nuts from the engine compartment side of the distributor case and the screw from the passenger compartment side.

7. Remove the heater case and core assembly.

8. Remove the core retaining straps and remove the core.

To install:

1. Install the core.

2. Install the core retaining straps.

3. Install the heater case and core assembly.

4. Fasten the three nuts on the engine compartment side of the distributor case and the screw on the passenger compartment side.

5. Connect the temperature door cable.

6. Install the defroster duct-to-case attaching screws and the two screws attaching the distributor to the heater case.

7. Install the steering column.

8. Fasten all the instrument panel attaching screws.

9. Install the engine cover.

10. Install the duct. Install the heater distributor duct-to-case attaching screws and the duct-to-engine cover screw.

11. Connect the heater intake and outlet hoses.

12. Fill the cooling system.

13. Install the coolant recovery bottle.

14. Connect the negative battery cable.

With Air Conditioning

1987-89 MODELS

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Remove the engine cover.

3. Remove the steering column to instrument panel bolts. Lower the column carefully.

4. Remove the upper and lower instrument panel attaching screws. Remove the radio support bracket screw.

5. Raise and support the right side of the instrument panel.

6. Remove the lower right instrument panel bracket.

7. Remove the vacuum actuator from the kick panel.

8. Disconnect the temperature cable and vacuum hoses at the case. Remove the heater distributor duct from over the engine hump.

9. Remove the two defroster duct-to-firewall attaching screws below the windshield.

10. Under the hood, disconnect and plug the heater hoses at the firewall.

11. Remove the three nuts and one screw (inside) holding the heater case to the firewall.

12. Remove the case from the van. Remove the gasket for access to the screws holding the case together. Remove the temperature cable support bracket. Remove the screws and separate the case. Remove the heater core.

To install:

1. Install the heater core.

2. Assemble the case and fasten the screws.

3. Install the temperature cable support bracket.

4. Position the gasket, then install the case in the van.

5. Fasten the three nuts and one screw (inside) holding the heater case to the firewall.

6. Connect and plug the heater hoses at the firewall.

7. Install the two defroster duct-to-firewall attaching screws below the windshield.

8. Install the heater distributor duct.

9. Connect the temperature cable and vacuum hoses at the case.

10. Install the vacuum actuator at the kick panel.

11. Install the lower right instrument panel bracket.

12. Fasten the radio support bracket screw.

13. Fasten the upper and lower instrument panel attaching screws.

14. Install the steering column to instrument panel bolts.

15. Install the engine cover.

16. Connect the battery ground cable.

17. Refill the cooling system as necessary.

Sectional views of the auxiliary heater plumbing components - 1987-95 models

Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
Hello Lou, Thanks for your question.Please don't forget to click my ACCEPT Button if my answer is helpful.Experts do not recieve a percentage of your deposit or offer unless you click our ACCEPT button.Experts receive a larger percentage of a Bonus than they do of the question value.So bonuses are GREATLY appreciated.How did you make out?