Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.

How do i change the starter of my 1995 ford ranger 3.2L

Customer Question

how do i change the starter of my 1995 ford ranger 3.2L
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 8 years ago.

I assume you meant 2.3 not 3.2

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 3 to 6

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Raise the front of the vehicle and install jackstands beneath the frame. Firmly apply the parking brake and place blocks in back of the rear wheels.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Disconnect all wires connected to the starter, including this ground wire on the starter moutnting bolt stud

1. Tag and disconnect the wiring at the starter.

WARNING <> < align=middle> <> <>When detaching the hardshell connector at the S-terminal, grasp the plastic shell to pull it off. Do not pull on the wire itself. Ensure to pull the connector straight off to prevent damage to the connector and S-terminal. If any part of the connector is damaged, replace the damaged component. Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Some starters use a self-threading bolt to hold the starter cable

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the starter motor (arrow) mounting bolts ...

1. Remove the starter mounting bolts and remove the starter.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: ... then remove the starter-be careful, the starter motor can be quite heavy

To install:

1. Position the starter motor against the engine and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 15-19 ft. lbs. (21-27 Nm).

2. Install the starter solenoid connector by pushing it straight on. Ensure that the connector locks in position with a notable click.

Install the starter cable nut to the starter solenoid B-terminal. Tighten the nut to 80-123 inch lbs. (9-14 Nm).

1. Connect any remaining wiring to the starter motor.

2. Lower the front of the vehicle and remove the wheel blocks.

3. Connect the negative battery cable.