Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.

1992 mazda mpv: a free online illustration of a timing belt..van

Customer Question

where can i find a free online illustration of a timing belt on a 1992 mazda mpv van

Optional Information:
1992 Mazda mpv 3.0

Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 8 years ago.

3.0L Engine

See Figures 9 through 23

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Remove the upper idler pulley

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Location of the timing marks on the timing belt cover

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Before removing the timing belt, line up the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket and the engine block ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: ... the right side camshaft sprocket and the mark on the cylinder head ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: ... and the left side camshaft sprocket and the cylinder head

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: Mark the direction of rotation on the timing belt if installing the same belt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Rmove the timing belt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: Remove the timing belt tensioner from the front of the engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 17: Remove the cranshaft sprocket by pulling straight off of the crankshaft

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 18: After removing the crankshaft sprocket, remove the woodruff ke. Be careful not to lose this

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and drain the cooling system.

2. Remove the timing belt covers.

3. Remove the upper idler pulley.

4. Turn the crankshaft to align the matching marks on the sprockets. If the timing belt is to be reused, make an arrow on the belt to indicate rotation direction.

5. Remove the timing belt and automatic tensioner.

6. Using SST 49 H012 010 tool or its equivalent, loosen and remove the camshaft sprocket lock bolts. Remove the camshaft sprockets.

7. Using a suitable puller, remove the crankshaft sprocket.

To install:

1. Install the crankshaft sprocket to the crankshaft.

2. Install the camshaft sprockets with the lock bolts and torque the bolts to 52-59 ft. lbs. (71-80 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 19: Place the washer on the tensioner allowing the plug on the tensioner to fit through the hole in the washer

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 20: Mount the tensioner assembly and washer in the bench vise as shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 21: When compressing the tensioner and plunger, be sure to line up the holes of the plunger to the hole in the tensioner body

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 22: Once the plunger and tensioner holes are aligned ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 23: ... place a small hex key into the holes to keep the plunger compressed

1. Set a plane washer at the bottom of the tensioner body to prevent damage to the body plug. Press in the tensioner rod slowly, using a press or a vise.

Do not press the tensioner rod more than 2200 lbs. (9800N).

1. Insert a pin to hold the tensioner rod in the body. Install the automatic tensioner and tighten the mounting bolts to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).

2. Install the crankshaft pulley lock bolt and loosely tighten. Check the alignment of the matching marks on the sprockets.

3. With the upper idler pulley removed, install the timing belt, making sure there is no slack between the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets. If the timing belt is being reused, it must be installed in the same direction of rotation.

4. Install the upper idler pulley and tighten the attaching bolt to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).

5. Turn the crankshaft twice in the direction of rotation and align the matching marks. If the marks do not align, repeat the previous three steps.

6. Remove the pin from the automatic tensioner. Turn the crankshaft twice and align the matching marks. Make sure the marks are aligned.

7. Check the timing belt deflection. The deflection should be 0.20-0.28 in. (5-7mm). Do not apply tension other than that of the automatic tensioner.

8. If the deflection is not correct, repeat the previous three steps.

9. Remove the crankshaft pulley lock bolt.

10. Install the timing belt cover, along with the related components.

11. Reinstall the crankshaft pulley and torque the lock bolt to 116-123 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).

12. Fill and bleed the cooling system.

13. Run the engine and check for leaks and proper operation. Check the idle speed and the ignition timing.