Michael
Michael, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  21yrs.Foreign and domestic driveability diagnosis and repair/ ASE Cert./Fuel Injection Specialist.
311867

how to adjust hand brake ford escort 1995

Customer Question

my car failed its MOTon the hand brake it needs adfjusting i do not know how to go about it

Optional Information:
1995 Ford escort 1.4

Already Tried:
nothing

Category: Car
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

I would make sure the rear brakes are not out of adjustment first because if they are the hand brake has to be moved further to apply them.I will post cable adjustment procedure along with rear brake adjustment and Cable R&R if necassary.

Fig. 1: Turn the parking brake adjusting nut until the parking brake control clicks 5-7 notches

WARNING

Use caution when performing a parking brake adjustment which requires operating the vehicle in Reverse.

1. Start the engine and place the transaxle in R.

2. With the vehicle slowly moving in reverse, apply the parking brake lever several times.

3. Stop the vehicle and move the gearshift selector to the N or P position.

4. Shut the engine OFF.

5. Turn the parking brake adjusting nut until the parking brake control clicks 5-7 notches when pulled up with a force of 22 pounds (98 N).

6. Check the parking brake system for proper operation

Rear Brake shoe Adjustment:

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

3. Remove the brake drum.

4. Using a brake adjusting gauge, measure the inside diameter of the brake drum.

5. Compare the brake drum measurement to the brake shoes.

6. Adjust the brake shoes by inserting a brake adjustment tool into the knurled quadrant of the rear quad operating lever and adjust the shoes to the same measurement as the brake drum.

7. Install the brake drum.

8. Install the wheel and tire assembly.

9. Lower the vehicle.

10. Check the brake system operation by making several stops while driving slowly forward.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION OF PARK BRAKE CABLES.

Front Cable

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the parking brake console.

3. Unplug the parking brake signal switch electrical connector.

4. Remove the cable adjusting nut.

5. Unfasten the two parking brake control retaining bolts and remove the parking brake control.

6. Remove the front parking brake cable and conduit from the cable guide.

7. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

8. Remove the rear exhaust pipe and resonator heat shields.

9. Remove the equalizer return spring and disconnect both rear parking brake cables from the equalizer.

10. Remove the front parking brake cable, conduit and equalizer from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Position the front parking brake cable, conduit and equalizer to the vehicle.

2. Connect the rear parking brake cables to the equalizer and install the equalizer return spring.

3. Install the exhaust heat shields.

4. Lower the vehicle.

5. Position the front parking brake cable and conduit to the cable guide.

6. Install the parking brake control and the two retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-26 Nm).

7. Fit the cable to the parking brake control and install the adjusting nut.

8. Attach the parking brake signal switch electrical connector.

9. Install the parking brake console.

10. Connect the negative battery cable.

11. Adjust the parking brake.

Rear Cable

2. Remove the parking brake console.

4. Remove the cable adjusting nut.

5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

6. Remove the rear exhaust pipe and resonator heat shields.

7. Remove the equalizer return spring and disconnect both rear parking brake cables from the equalizer.

8. Unfasten the clip that attaches the cable to the retaining bracket located near the equalizer. Remove the cable from the bracket.

9. On 1991-96 models, unfasten the cable routing bracket bolt from the floorpan and remove the bracket.

10. On 1997-99 models, unfasten the bolt from the front bracket on the parking brake rear cable and remove the bracket.

11. On 1991-96 models, unfasten the two cable routing bracket nuts from the trailing link and remove the bracket.

12. On 1997-99 models, unfasten the bolt from the rear bracket on the rear cable and remove the bracket.

13. On 1991-96 models equipped with rear drum brakes, unfasten the two cable retaining bracket bolts from the backing plate and remove the bracket.

14. On 1997-99 models equipped with rear drum brakes, disconnect the cable from the parking brake actuating lever.

15. On 1991-96 models equipped with rear disc brakes, unfasten the parking brake bracket bolt and position the parking brake bracket aside.

16. On 1997-99 models equipped with rear disc brakes, remove the cable retaining clip, slide the cable from caliper bracket and disconnect the cable from the rear brake actuating lever.

17. Remove the rear cable and conduit from the parking brake actuating lever.

18. Remove the rear cable from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Position the cable onto the parking brake actuating lever.

2. On 1991-96 models equipped with rear drum brakes, position the parking brake cable bracket onto the backing plate and install the two bolts. Tighten the bolts to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).

3. On 1997-99 models equipped with rear drum brakes, connect the cable to the parking brake actuating lever.

4. On 1991-96 models equipped with rear disc brakes, install the parking brake bracket and retaining bolt.

5. On 1991-96 models equipped with rear disc brakes, attach the cable to the rear brake actuating lever, slide the cable onto caliper bracket and install the cable retaining clip.

6. On 1991-96 models, position the cable routing bracket onto the trailing link and install the two nuts. Tighten the nuts to 12-17 ft. lbs. (16-23 Nm).

7. On 1997-99 models, install the rear bracket on the rear cable and tighten the bolt to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).

8. On 1991-96 models, position the cable routing bracket to the floor pan and install the mounting bolt. Tighten the bolt to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).

9. On 1997-99 models, install the front bracket on the parking brake rear cable and tighten the bolt to14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).

10. Position the cable into the retaining bracket near the equalizer and install the clip.

11. Install the cables into the equalizer and install the equalizer return spring.

12. Install the rear exhaust pipe and resonator heat shields.

13. Lower the vehicle.

14. Install the adjusting nut.

15. If removed, install the parking brake console.

16. Connect the negative battery cable.

17. Adjust the parking brake.

Hello,Thanks for your question.Please don't forget to click my ACCEPT Button if my answer is helpful.Experts do not recieve a percentage of your deposit or offer unless you click our ACCEPT button.Experts receive a larger percentage of a Bonus than they do of the question value.So bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Good luck! If you need more help, JUST ASK.