Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician

Metro: geo..speedometer..Automatic transmission Optional Information

How do you replace a 1991 GEO Metro cable speedometer and what tools do I need. Automatic transmission

Optional Information:
1991 Chevrolet GEO Metro 993cc

Already Tried:
not a thing

here is the procedure to replace the instrument cluster, from the service manual for your car. Once the cluster is out of the car, replacing the speedometer head alone is usually just a matter of removing whatever screws hold it to the instrument cluster.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Remove four screws attaching cluster switch panel to instrument panel.
  3. Disconnect electrical connectors from switches, then pull instrument cluster bezel and switch panel slightly outward as an assembly.
  4. Remove six screws attaching cluster bezel to switch panel.
  5. Remove front windshield wiper switch and headlamp and hazard warning lamp switch from switch panel.
  6. Remove four instrument cluster housing attaching screws from switch housing.
  7. Disconnect instrument cluster electrical connectors and speedometer cable.
  8. Remove instrument cluster, Fig. 9.
  9. Reverse procedure to install.

No manual in existence lists all specific wrench and socket sizes or tools required for a particular procedure.

In general, for a job of this type you will probably need a 1/4 drive metric socket set, screwdrivers, pliers, and possibly a Torx driver set 9depending on what type of fasteners the manufacturer chose to use back then). These are all very basic hand tools you probably already have in your tool set.

I hope this is helpful; if so, an accept would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: do I have to get under the car at the transmission to connect one end of the cable??
No, the cable does not need to be completely removed for this repair. you should be able to squeeze your hand in behind the instrument cluster to disconnect the cable at the dash end. There is no illustration of the connection in the service procedure, but typically the end of the cable will either have a connector that must be squeezed from 2 sides, or will have a tab to depress to release the cable housing from the speedometer head.

I see you have not yet accepted my answer; is there some other information that you require, or other way I can be of assistance?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I've asked around and I've been told one end of the cable goes to the speedometer and one end goes to one of the tires this is how it gets it's count. Is this so.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Oh I for got one more thing I can only find two screws that hold in the dash board around the speedometer in Is that it or are there more.

No the other enfd of the cable does not go to a tire; it is attached to a drive gear inside the transmission, and turns at a speed based on output shaft speed. The transmission end of the cable does not have to be disconnected in order to remove the speedometer; the cable stays in place in the vehicle and is disconnected at the instrument panel end.

The procedure states that there are 4 screws holding the trim panel to the dash, and 6 screws holding the cluster assembly to the dash, and then 4 more screws holding the front panel on the cluster for a total of 14 screws. Unfortunately, no manual shows the exact location of all the screws, but screws are generally out in the open and easily seen. there are no trim plugs or anything to hide them...