Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

2000 CHEVY BLAZER: HOW DO I REMOVE THE STEERING WHEEL..Chevrolet

Customer Question

HOW DO I REMOVE THE STEERING WHEEL ON A 2000 CHEVY BLAZER

Optional Information:
2000 Chevrolet BLAZER 4.3

Already Tried:
I HAVE REMOVED 2 SCREWS
ON COVER IN BACK SIDE OF
STEERING WHEEL

Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
You need some special tools.I will post the instructions for you.Some things can be done without removing the steering wheel though.

Steering Wheel Replacement

Tools Required

J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller

Removal Procedure

Caution: This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:

Air bag deployment

Personal injury

Unnecessary SIR system repairs
    In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:
    Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.

If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
  2. Remove the inflator module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement in SIR.
    Object Number: 399638  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

3. Remove the horn plunger from the steering column by pressing inward to the stop and rotating horn plunger 90 degrees.
    Object Number: 395777  Size: SH

4. On vehicles with redundant steering wheel controls, disconnect the steering wheel electrical connector.
    Object Number: 395774  Size: SH

5. Remove the nut that retains the steering wheel to the steering wheel shaft.
  6. Mark the steering wheel to the steering wheel shaft. This will ensure proper alignment during installation.
    Object Number: 375301  Size: SH

Notice: When removing the steering wheel, use only the specified steering wheel puller. Do not hammer on the end of the steering column shaft. Hammering could loosen the plastic injections which maintain the steering column rigidity.

7. Install J 1859-A to the steering wheel.
  8. Remove the steering wheel using J 1859-A .
  9. Remove the J 1859-A from the steering wheel.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 395779  Size: SH

Important: Ensure that the turn signal on the multifunction switch is in the neutral position when installing the steering wheel.

1. Align the mark on the steering wheel and steering shaft.
  2. Install the steering wheel to the steering wheel shaft.
    Object Number: 395774  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the steering wheel retaining nut to the steering shaft.

Tighten
    Tighten the nut that retains the steering wheel to the steering shaft to 41 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 395777  Size: SH

4. On vehicles with redundant steering wheel controls, connect the steering wheel electrical connector.
    Object Number: 399638  Size: SH

5. Install the horn plunger to the steering column.
  6. Install the inflator module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement in SIR.
  7. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: i really need to know how to remove airbag
so i can check horn wire because horn does
not work i thought steering wheel removal wood
show this,but it is forbidden area.i will be glad
to pay if you show the correct information.
thanks
bob
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
Please disconnect your battery for 30 seconds before starting this job.

Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

Air bag deployment

Personal injury

Unnecessary SIR system repairs

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System .
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to unlock the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 309830  Size: SH

3. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees from the straight-ahead position in order to gain access to the access holes behind the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 245788  Size: SH

4. Insert a flat-bladed tool into each access hole and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module.
    Object Number: 288763  Size: SH

5. Turn the steering wheel 180 degrees in order to gain access to the remaining access holes.
  6. Insert a screwdriver into each access holes and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module.
    Object Number: 245799  Size: SH

7. Tilt the top of the inflator module rearward to gain access to the SIR wiring.
  8. Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the inflator module.
  9. Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 245795  Size: SH

10. Disconnect the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer.
  11. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  12. Remove the inflator module from the vehicle.
  13. Fully deploy the module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period. Refer to Inflator Module Handling, Shipping, and Scrapping .

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 245795  Size: SH

1. Connect the SIR electrical connector.
  2. Connect the CPA retainer to the SIR connector.
  3. Install the SIR lead wire to the clip on the steering wheel.
  4. Install the SIR lead wire to the clip on the inflator module.
    Object Number: 245799  Size: SH

Important

Ensure that the SIR wires do not get pinched during installation of the inflator module.

5. Press the inflator module into the steering wheel firmly enough that the module engages and latches the notched pins in the leaf springs.
  6. Rotate the steering wheel back into the straight position.
  7. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System .

Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how do i use the magnifying glass so i can see
better i was not able to get airbag loose
was not sure where to put screwdriver
when clicked on it says forbidden
thanks
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
You can copy it to a file and then resize it if you don't know how send me a pm with your email adress and I will resize and send the pic.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
that worked the only thing in instruction
the i had trouble with it said to push spring
it should of said pry up to release.
thanks you were a big help
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
I was here waiting off and on all day to see if you needed more help.Glad you got it handled.If you ever need more help look me up.