Fordanswerman, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0

I have to replace the rear brake pads on my 1994 Lincoln ...

I have to replace the rear brake pads on my 1994 Lincoln Town Car. This car has disc brakes on the rear but also has a drum brake for the emergency brake.

I need to replace both the disc & drum pads but cannot figure out how to remove the drum pads. The axle hub is in the way so much that I cannot get at the springs that hold the shoes in place.

Do I have to remove the axle? This would get me into the differential which I hope I don’t have to do. Ideas?

Optional Information:
1994 Lincoln Town Car

Already Tried:
Have removed the disc brakes with caliper and rotor. Still have to remove he drum brake shoes.

Category: Car
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 10 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Yes, it would be alot easier if you take the axles out. This is very simple to do. You would need some auto silicone, gear lube and some brake clean.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
How do I remove the axles?
Ok here we go. Remove all the bolts holding the rear cover on the axle housing. You might have to take a puddy knife and go inbetween the axle and cover to pry it away. Watch out, here comes the fluid! Then you want to turn the ring gear around until you see a 8mm head bolt. You want to use a really good 8mm small socket or wrench to get a good grip. Loosen this and take it all the way out. The a big steel pin in the middle will come out. You might have to push it out with your finger. Then you want to go to your axles at the brake end, and push the axle towards the center of the car. At the end of the axle inside the axle housing where you took out the big pin, you should see "C" clips holding the axle, just push those off the axle and now go at the brake end of the axle and pull out slowly while hold ing the weight of the axle so not to hurt the axle seal. Reverse the procedure. The clean your cover up real good, and I use UltraGrey silicone on the axle cover and don't forget to refill the axle with 80w90w gear lube Ford specified.