autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ Advance Engine Performance
157591

Honda Civic 1999 Automatic Transmission

I have Honda civic 1999 and I believe it has 4 step gear (no.1,2,3,4)in the automatic transmission.

The transmission cannot run good. If the engine is cold, the transmission works good, but after awhile (especially when a lot of stop and run, like in the city road)it works not good.
The transmission cannot shift to Upper gear (no.4) and stuck in gear no.3 (it cannot move to upper and lower gear). So, the RPM car engine will be high in the freeway and move very slow when car just start, couse it start from gear no.3 instead of gear no.1.
So... what I did is move manualy the shift transmission from 'D4'(upper gear) to 'D2'(lower gear)If the car just start to move. And then I change the gear from 'D2' to 'D3' to get higher gear (its like manual shifting), then I change to 'D4' ,but most of the time the transmission gear can not move to 'D4' eventhought the hand shifting is already in 'D4' possition.

The check engine light is "on" and when I check with computer (The brand is snap-on, on the manual book says it works for honda civic 1999). The computer says " shiffting error".
Then I change the Shift solenoid Transmission, lower (on transmission housing)and reset the computer (turn off he check engine light). For the 1st and 2nd days it worked good but in 3rd day, it going back to the same problem and the check engine is on again !!!!

Could you help me what is the real problem...???
note: I used the used part (not brand new part)

Thanks for your help...

Faizal
=================================================

Optional Information:
1999 Honda civic 4 cillinder

Already Tried:
change the Shift solenoid transmission, lower (on transmission housing). but that is not brand new part (used part)

Category: Car
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 8 years ago.
What is the actual code. Honda has a tsb for codes P0730 and P0715. I will wait to hear from you as to what the code is.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't remember what the actual code was, but I remember the meaning of the code , it said "Shift control error". It could be P0730 or P0715 (but I don't know).

Here is the tsb for those codes.

00-012

June 26, 2001

Applies To:
1996-00 Civic - See VEHICLES AFFECTED
1997-99 CR-V - See VEHICLES AFFECTED

Harsh Shifting Automatic Transmission
(Supersedes 00-012, dated June 20, 2000)

Updated information is shown by asterisks and black bars.

SYMPTOM

*The transmission shifts harshly, or it may stay in first gear. The harsh shifting is more noticeable on the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts under light throttle. It is not affected by operating temperature. The MIL may be on with DTC P0730 or P0715 stored.*

PROBABLE CAUSE

*Contamination of the linear solenoid and its associated passages inside the transmission, or a broken spring internal to the transmission.*

VEHICLES AFFECTED

CORRECTIVE ACTION

*Flush the transmission with Genuine Honda ATF-Z1, then replace the linear solenoid. If shift feel is not affected, replace the transmission.*

PARTS INFORMATION

Linear Solenoid Assembly: P/N 28250-P4R-315, H/C(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Drain Bolt Washer: P/N 90471-PX4-000, H/C(NNN) NNN-NNNN/P>

REQUIRED MATERIALS

Genuine Honda ATF-Z1: P/NNNN-NN-NNNN H/C(NNN) NNN-NNNN/P>

Civic and 2WD CR-V - 11.6 quarts required
4WD CR-V - 12.4 quarts required

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

In warranty:
The normal warranty applies.

Out of warranty:
Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

2. Drain the transmission. Refill it with Genuine Honda ATF-Z1.

3. Start the engine.

4. With your foot on the brake pedal, shift the transmission to D4

5. Release the brake pedal. Press on the accelerator, and bring the speedometer up to 50 mph. Make sure the transmission shifts through the first three lower gears and into fourth, and that the torque converter locks up.

6. Apply the brakes to stop the front wheels.

7. Shift to reverse, and then to neutral.

8. Repeat the shifting procedure (steps 4 through 7) four more times.

9. Turn off the engine.

10. Repeat the above drain, refill, and shifting procedure (steps 2 through 9) two more times.

11. Drain the transmission. Reinstall the drain bolt with a new washer. Refill the transmission with Genuine Honda ATF-Z1.

12. Disconnect the linear solenoid electrical connector. Remove the mounting bolts, then remove the linear solenoid.

13.Inspect the linear solenoid mounting surface on the transmission. Remove any contamination.

14. Install the new linear solenoid. Reconnect the electrical connector.

15.Use the PGM Tester to erase any DTCs in the powertrain control module (PCM).

16. Test-drive the vehicle to check the shift feel. If it still shifts harshly, install a remanufactured transmission.*

autodoc_2000, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ Advance Engine Performance