Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

95 astro: distributer..with a 4.3..old one..alldata..timeing

Customer Question

i am installing a distributer on a 95 astro with a 4.3. the old one has been removed.. there are 2 marks on the balencer. alldata says there should be a tab on the timeing cover. but i only see a raised pont on the cover. i am lost how do i get this dam thing lined up right? i think it has a bad pick up coil the van is running very rich, the spyder cap rotor coil have all been changed.

Optional Information:
1995 Chevrolet astro 4.3

Already Tried:
dont no where to position the balencer there are two marks tried linging up both makes to the line on cover and setting the distributer to 1 cyl

Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok that tab is not presnt on this car. but like i said there is a poionter at about 3 o clock on the cover.... on that diagram it says 4.3 (m/L) i am working on a 4.3 w
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: it is a 4.3 w
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
This is a picture of the w engine timing mark.It is posted as a favor to Marc.If you don't see this timing tab it may be broken off of your cover. Object Number: 334551  Size: SH
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: it doesnt look like there is anything broken off its a raised pointer on the cover. but i see in that digram,i could line up #4 and #3 and see if #1 lines up with that point. this vehile has 250k have u ever seen excessive timeng chain play cause very rich running/ barley runnig.
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

With the plenum off, go to the fuel pump relay and jump the Orange to the Gray wire. Let the fuel pump run and visually look for a leak.

Also check the EGR valve to make sure it is not stuck open.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: egr is good and spyder is new
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.
I've seen those fuel distributor spiders bad out of the box From Delco.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the van starts intermintenty if u rev it slow it revs good put if u nail it it starts popping and wants to stall . like a bad tps.. i moniterd it with a scan tool and every thing looks good. no codes present. after the van runs it will eventuly stall. at this point the cat is glowing and running very rich. ive replaced coil wires cap rotor fuel filter and spyder. om in the process replaceing the distributer( bad pick up coil??)... have u seen a tps go bad and not throw a code? im at the end of my rope here
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: but i cranked the van with the upper intake off an saw the injectors spray,

Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

You need to make sure the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking on the spider also. Does the fuel system hold pressure??

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: yes

pressure and leak down is good
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

The TPS should have a smooth sweap when checked with an ohm meter voltage should be about .5 closed throttle and about 4.5 WO .Thottle.

You can also check it with a scan tool.

Are you getting any sensor codes??

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: i checked it with a scan tool and everthings within spec

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no codes present

Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

Are you sure about that EGR valve I see a lot of rich running problems related to stuck EGR's

Do you still have acces to the scan tool if so check the injector pulse width and ley me know what you get.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: yes positive....

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well theres no positives in this business but u no what i mean
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.
Still have the scan tool?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: yes well at work where the van is

Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.
If the pulse width at hot idle is 1.5 mS or less, replace the CPI (spider assembly).
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: ill check that tomro.. the spyder and feed lines are new.. i no uve seen them bad out of the box. have u ever seen the symptoms i descibed cant floor it with out popping/ but iff u rev it slow it will rev up.. 1.5 ms or less indicates excessive fuel ???
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

You describing a lean condition (popping on accel) and not knowing a fuel pressure or volume reading isn't helping. A misfiring engine due to a lean condition will result in unburned fuel entering the CAT and making it glow, just like a rich condition will. You could have a clogged CAT also; Try taking a vacuum reading.

Thanks Steave

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
steave
i do apprecate all your help.. at this point i have the cat removed from the van i did take vacum reading and the was none.. fuel pressure is good if i recall right 50 to 55. new fuel filter do not have equip to check voulme

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: l
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

And that EGR could be the cause of a lean condition also

Lean miss looking like a rich condition.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: the egr and passage way wave both been inspected. the egr appers to be recenty replaced
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.
Those engines are known for having little carbon balls running into the valve and hanging them up even on new valve replacements I always run the engine before putting new valve on.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: ive seen the same. but the pintle is fulley seated
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
u dont think tps?
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

Should have a code but I would check to make sure.

Maybe it has a scratchy area that makes it hic-up But I'd would be eliminating fuel and air problems first.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: u stated that @ warm idle if it at 1.5 ms or lower change the spyder what is the logic behind that
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

Also found this while looking around one of my subscription sites:: 95 GMC SAFARI 4.3 W engine

Complaint: came in to our shop after being to another shop several times..originally for a fuel smell with no drivability concern. after the other shop replaced the injector unit and fuel line kit, the customer complained of a poor idle after warm up and still had a very strong fuel smell. Tech Notes: scanned for codes. engine had low vaccum (9lbs) ran rough . Tested for vac leaks by spraying carb cleaner around common leak areas, with carefull attention to intake area. lo leaks detected. injected propane into crankcase and test showed no intake leak. reccomended going in to the intake to re-ck work of other shop. intake interior wet but no puddles, van sat overnight before opening, may have evaporated. replaced injector and return and feed lines which looked like they werent replaced, but no physical sign of leak. after installation of new injector and lines, engine hunts and on accel, backfires through carb. fuel pressure good and vaccum good. checked egr using scan tool and computer would only switch egr to full or closed Fix Notes: found tsb relating to prom update when replacing egr tsb #57-65-22. replaced prom . problem solved

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have reviwed the tsb.. but the thing is the van got towed in.. it was a rainy day and there was no secondary spark with weak primary spark so i instaedd a new coil wires cap and rotor then this started... due to the vans high milage i suspected spyder so i pulled the intake and removed the lines to the cyl and saw just dripping .. after replaceg the injector i verifed each line had good spry..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
why would me changing the spyder trigger the egr problem..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: k