Michael
Michael, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  21yrs.Foreign and domestic driveability diagnosis and repair/ ASE Cert./Fuel Injection Specialist.

1985 Ford bronco II: firing order

firing order ford bronco 2.8

Optional Information:
1985 Ford bronco II 2.8

Already Tried:
firing order

Category: Car
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
Bronco II Fire Order and Dist. Rotation
Michael, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 21yrs.Foreign and domestic driveability diagnosis and repair/ ASE Cert./Fuel Injection Specialist.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: trying to install distributor into motor need to know how to aligin it to engine
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
That's another whole question isn't it. Make sure the engine is set at #1 TDC compression stroke. Make a little mark on the distributor base where the #1 position is in relationship to the cap.Stab the Distributor so that the rotor lines up with the mark you made.Install the cap.Continue with normal timing procedures.
Michael, Auto Service Technician
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: there is no distributor in the motor. once #1 is at tdc comp stroke how do I install the disributor
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

R&R instructions are as follows.

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the distributor mounted ICM distributor

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Example of the remote mounted ICM distributor

1. Rotate the engine until the No. 1 piston is on Top Dead Center (TDC) of its compression stroke.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the vehicle wiring harness connector from the distributor. Before removing the distributor cap, mark the position of the No. 1 wire tower on the cap for reference.

3. Loosen the distributor cap hold-down screws and remove the cap. Matchmark the position of the rotor to the distributor housing. Position the cap and wires out of the way.

4. Scribe a mark in the distributor body and the engine block to indicate the position of the distributor in the engine.

5. Remove the distributor hold-down bolt and clamp.

Some engines may be equipped with a security-type distributor hold-down bolt. If this is the case, use distributor wrench T82L-1270-A or equivalent, to remove the retaining bolt and clamp.

1. Remove the distributor assembly from the engine. Be sure not to rotate the engine while the distributor is removed.

TO INSTALL DISTRIBUTOR:

1. Make sure that the engine is still with the No. 1 piston up on TDC of its compression stroke.

If the engine was disturbed while the distributor was removed, it will be necessary to remove the No. 1 spark plug and rotate the engine clockwise until the No. 1 piston is on the compression stroke. Align the timing pointer with TDC on the crankshaft damper or flywheel, as required.

1. Check that the O-ring is installed and in good condition on the distributor body.

2. On all vehicles:

1. Rotate the distributor shaft so the rotor points toward the mark on the distributor housing made previously.

2. Rotate the rotor slightly so the leading edge of the vane is centered in the vane switch state assembly.

3. Rotate the distributor in the block to align the leading edge of the vane with the vane switch stator assembly. Make certain the rotor is pointing to the No. 1 mark on the distributor base.

If the vane and vane switch stator cannot be aligned by rotating the distributor in the cylinder block, remove the distributor enough to just disengage the distributor gear from the camshaft gear. Rotate the rotor enough to engage the distributor gear on another tooth of the camshaft gear. Repeat Step 9 if necessary.

1. Install the distributor hold-down clamp and bolt(s); tighten them slightly.

2. Attach the vehicle wiring harness connector to the distributor.

3. Install the cap and wires. Install the No. 1 spark plug, if removed.

4. Recheck the initial timing.

5. Tighten the hold-down clamp and recheck the timing. Adjust if necessary.

Michael, Auto Service Technician