john
john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors
Experience:  26 years of mechanics experience
409120

chevy tahoe freeze plug location

I have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe 99,400 miles. Recently I nocied antifreeze drip near the rear of the engine on the passanger side. It seems to be above the starter. Any ideas. Any ideas on repair cost if it is a freeze plug?
George

Optional Information:
1996 Chevrolet tahoe

Category: Car
Expert:  john replied 8 years ago.
THere is a freeze plug in that location and they are inexpensive-less than 5.00 The trick is to grt at it.Being on the side of the engine should allow access without major difficulty and replacement should be inexpensive.
Expert:  john replied 8 years ago.

Engine Block Plug Removal

Tools Required

J 41712 Oil Pressure Switch Socket

Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Caution

Wear safety glasses in order to avoid eye damage.

1. Remove the transmission locator pins, if required.

2. Remove the S type pin, and the crankshaft rear oil seal housing, if required.

3. Remove the expansion cup plug from the camshaft rear bearing hole.

4. Remove the engine oil pressure gage sensor using the J 41712 .

5. Remove the engine oil pressure sensor gage sensor fitting.

6. Remove the engine block oil gallery plugs from the rear of the engine block and discard.

7. Remove the left side rear and left rear top engine block oil gallery plugs.

8. Remove the engine block oil gallery plugs from the front of the engine block and discard. Insert a 3/8 x 26 inch rod into the rear oil gallery holes in order to drive out the front engine block oil gallery plugs.

9. Remove the engine block core hole plugs.

1. Use a suitable tool in order to drive the engine block core hole plug into the coolant jacket.
    2. Use a suitable tool in order to pull the engine block core hole plug from the coolant jacket.
    3. Discard the engine block core hole plug.

john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors
Experience: 26 years of mechanics experience