Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

Replacing timing belt on 97 kia sephia rs. What is ...

Replacing timing belt on 97 kia sephia rs. What is the "engine timing"?

Optional Information:
1997 Kia sephia rs

Already Tried:
water pump replaced, friend put engine back together wrong. timing belt broke when we tried to start it. Mechanic friend has put engine back together properly and just needs to put timing belt on correctly.

Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

Greetings:

THe crankshaft and camshafts must move in specific time with each other for all of the other mechanical parts in the engine to operate in the right sequence to make the engine run. ALigning everything correctly and installing the timinig belt is known as "timing" the engine.

This can be a little complicated to do, and is the hardest part of assemblking an engine. You may want to have your mechanic friend complete this part of the assembly. If you want to try it yourself, here is the procedure:

INSTALLATION

1. Loosen the tensioner pulley lock bolt and install the tensioner spring.
  2. Pull the tensioner pulley to its furthest point and tighten the lock bolt.

3. Check that the timing mark on the timing belt pulley is aligned with the timing mark on the engine

4. Check that the "E" mark on the intake camshaft pulley is aligned with the "E" mark on the seal plate and the "I" mark on the exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with the "I" mark on the set plate.

1. Install the timing belt onto the timing belt pulley first, then the idler pulley, intake camshaft pulley. exhaust camshaft pulley, and tensioner pulley in that order.
    2. Check that there is no looseness in the belt between the idler pulley and the exhaust camshaft pulley or between the intake and exhaust camshaft pulleys.

3. Install the crankshaft pulley boss and the crankshaft pulley lock bolt.

4. Loosen the tensioner pulley lock bolt and allow the tensioner spring to apply tension to the timing belt. NOTE: Do not add additional tension.
    5. Tighten the tensioner pulley lock bolt to the specified torque

6. Rotate the crankshaft two full revolutions (clockwise only) and align the timing mark on the timing belt pulley with the timing mark on the engine block.

7. Check that the "E" mark on the intake camshaft pulley is aligned with the "E" mark on the seal plate and the "I" mark on the exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with the "I" mark on the seal plate.
    8. If they are not aligned, remove the timing belt and start the process from the tensioner installation

I hope this is helpful to you! If so, an accept would be most appreciated! thanks!

Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician