Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.

2000 Ford Expedition: I take foot off gas pedal, engine quits

2000 Ford Expedition starts but then quits; as long as I keep foot a little on gas pedal it runs--but as soon as I take foot off gas pedal, engine quits. What's up?
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 10 years ago.

You need to clean the throttle body and butterfly flap inside the thottle body if this does not correct the problem you have to replace the Idle air control valve.

If you post back what engine you have I can post more information ie: component location and R&R instructions.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
5.4 Liter V8 Triton - Tim
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Marc, can you please give me component location and RR instructions...I will then pay you, if that's ok- Tim
Expert:  Marc replied 10 years ago.

You can clean the throttle body with carb cleaner and a bottle brushjust have someone hold the gas peddle to the floor while you clean it.

The air bypass valve or Idle air control has 2 screws holding it on be sure to change the gasket if you replace the valve.

If you want still more Info please post back with your questions I will be happy to help.

Expert:  Marc replied 10 years ago.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Please draw an arrow to the specific point(s) where I need to clean with a brush of some kind.
Thanks, Tim
Expert:  Marc replied 10 years ago.

Have someone press the gas peddle to the floor and using a can carburator cleaner (aerosol) completely clean the inside of the throttle body and both sides of the flap when you look inside the throttle body it will appear obvious what you need to do.

Use carburator cleaner and a bottle brush, it will clean up easily and should only take a minute or two.