john
john, Auto, ATV, Sleds, Bikes, Tractors
Experience:  26 years of mechanics experience
409120

1991 Chevy: I had a frozen radiator/hoeses, and I..block..van

I had a frozen radiator/hoeses, and I assume watre pump and or block. Before I realized this, I tried starting the 1991 Chevy 4.3 van. It wouldn't start but would crank very slowy and seem to want to start. So, I went to jump it and when I opend the hood, that is when I realized a hose leaking and the fluid. I put the van in a garage and let it dethaw. It runs now, but runs hot. It doesn't overheat but runs hooter than before the incident. Also, there is now warm air for heat. The system holds pressure and there are no leaks. With the cap off, the coolant doesn't seem to flow. IS THE WATER PUMP SHOT? It isn't leaking and it does rotate.

Optional Information:
1991 Chevrolet G20 4.3

Already Tried:
I only dethawed the engine and filled w/proper coolant mix. no leaks after hose replacement

Category: Car
Expert:  john replied 11 years ago.
THere is a good possibility,water pumps are centrifigul and can turn but not move water/coolant.Also your thermostat is probably damaged from the freezing. My advice is to change both. Thanks
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
why no heat? No coolant flow due to limited pump effectiveness? Is there a bearing or shaft that is not linking properly?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
How does the pump actually fail? Is it a spun shaft or the impeller/fins/blades ground down form the ice?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
is this pretty much standard failure when trying to turn over a frozen block/pump?
Expert:  john replied 11 years ago.
Yes it is-you are not the first..