Steelpig
Steelpig, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Practical wiz in all wheeled things, including Porsche, Fiat, Volvo, Honda, Etc

93 Ford Bronco: you change an oil pan gasket..wheel drive..1993 Ford

Customer Question

How do you change an oil pan gasket on a 93 Ford Bronco 5.8.XXXXX

Optional Information:
1993 Ford Bronce 5.8

Category: Car
Expert:  john replied 8 years ago.
If i'm not mistaken you can change that one without having to loosten the motor mounts up and raise the engine.In the event there is not quite enough room-you would just have to raise the engine slightly by loosening the mounts.Drain oil-remove pan bolts and pan clean old gasket off replace pan
Expert:  Steelpig replied 8 years ago.
Try this, complete with EPA warnings.

Fuel Injected 5.0L and 5.8L Engines

See Figures 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 2: 5.0L and 5.8L engine oil pan gaskets and seals

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 3: Unbolt the engine mounts to allow the oil pan removal-fuel injected 5.0L and 5.8L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 4: Raise the engine slightly-note load dispersing wood block on the jack pad

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 5: Insert a wooden block to maintain the clearance gained by jacking up the engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 6: Remove all the fasteners from the oil pan and set them where they won't get lost

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 7: Remove the stiffener from the pan when unbolted

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 8: Lower the pan to access the oil pump pickup tube-fuel injected 5.0L and 5.8L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 9: Remove the two bolts attaching the oil pump pickup tube to the oil pump

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 10: Remove the nut attaching the oil pump pickup tube to the No. 3 main bearing cap stud

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 11: Lower the pickup tube and screen into the oil pan, then lower the pan from the engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 12: Thoroughly scrape and clean the oil pan gasket mating surfaces

1. Drain the cooling system.

CAUTION

When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are
attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze and are quite likely to drink
any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground.
This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant
into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is
contaminated or several years old.

1. Remove the bolts attaching the fan shroud to the radiator and position the shroud over the fan.

2. Remove the upper intake manifold and throttle body (see Fuel System ).

3. Remove the nuts and lockwashers attaching the engine support insulators to the chassis bracket.

4. If equipped with an automatic transmission, disconnect the oil cooler line at the left side of the radiator.

5. Remove the exhaust system.

6. Raise the engine and place wood blocks under the engine supports.

7. Drain the crankcase.

CAUTION

The EPA warns that prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause a
number of skin disorders, including cancer! You should make every
effort to minimize your exposure to used engine oil. Protective gloves
should be worn when changing the oil. Wash your hands and any other
exposed skin areas as soon as possible after exposure to used engine
oil. Soap and water, or waterless hand cleaner should be used.

1. Support the transmission with a floor jack and remove the transmission crossmember.

2. Remove the oil pan attaching bolts and lower the oil pan onto the crossmember.

3. Remove
    the two bolts attaching the oil pump pickup tube to the oil pump.
    Remove the nut attaching the oil pump pickup tube to the No. 3 main
    bearing cap stud. Lower the pickup tube and screen into the oil pan.

4. Remove the oil pan from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Clean
    the oil pan, inlet tube and gasket surfaces. Inspect the gasket sealing
    surface for damages and distortion due to overtightening of the bolts.
    Repair and straighten as required.

2. Position a new oil pan gasket and seal to the cylinder block.

3. Position
    the oil pick-up tube and screen to the oil pump and install the lower
    attaching bolt and gasket loosely. Install nut attaching to number 3
    main bearing cap stud.

4. Place the oil pan on the crossmember. Install the upper pick-up tube bolt. Tighten the pick-up tube bolts.

5. Position the oil pan to the cylinder block and install the attaching bolts. Tighten to 10-12 ft. lbs. (13-16 Nm).

6. Install the transmission crossmember.

7. Raise the engine and remove the blocks under the engine supports. Bolt the engine to the supports.

8. Install the exhaust system.

9. If equipped with an automatic transmission, connect the oil cooler line at the left side of the radiator.

10. Install the nuts and lockwashers attaching the engine support insulators to the chassis bracket.

11. Install the upper intake manifold and throttle body (see Fuel System ).

12. Install the fan shroud.

13. Fill the crankcase.

14. Fill and bleed the cooling system.

Delmar Publishers