Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician

2000 Pont sunfire 2.2, timing chain info

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.

Timing Chain and Sprockets Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the engine front cover. Object Number: 4899  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

2. Align the crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprocket timing marks with the alignment tabs on the timing chain tensioner.

Important: Before removing the timing chain, measure the distance between the hole in the bracket and the unworn surface of the timing chain tensioner shoe. If the distance between the hole and the unworn surface of the timing chain tensioner shoe is more that 8 mm (0.314), replace the tensioner, timing chain, and both sprockets.

Object Number: 1151  Size: SH

3. Remove the timing chain tensioner bolts.
    Object Number: 1152  Size: SH

4. Remove the camshaft sprocket bolt.
  5. Remove the camshaft sprocket and timing chain.
  6. Remove the Torx® bolt and the tensioner assembly.
  7. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 4897  Size: SH

1. Install the crankshaft sprocket using a suitable tool . Make sure that the crankshaft sprocket is seated against the crankshaft.
    Object Number: 30191  Size: SH

2. Compress the timing chain tensioner spring.
  3. Insert a cotter pin or a nail into the hole in the tensioner to retain the timing chain tensioner shoe.
    Object Number: 4900  Size: SH

4. Install the timing chain tensioner. Do not tighten the timing chain tensioner bolts.
    Object Number: 4899  Size: SH

5. Align the crankshaft timing marks with the tab on the timing chain tensioner.
  6. Align the camshaft timing mark with the tab on the timing chain tensioner.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location.

7. Install the camshaft sprocket and install the timing chain.

Tighten

Tighten the timing chain tensioner bolts to 24 N·m (18 lb ft).

Tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt to 130 N·m (96 lb ft).

Object Number: 30191  Size: SH

8. Remove the cotter pin or nail from the hole in the timing chain tensioner.
  9. Install the crankcase front cover.