Dan, Automotive Management
Experience:  36 Plus Years of Direct Automotive Experience
399781

Few minutes..jumper..I need a higher amps battering or my alternator

Customer Question

my car dies after a few minutes after starting, the battery is new, I need to jumper the car to get it going again. what could have gone wrong? do I need a higher amps battering or my alternator is not working. please help.

Optional Information:
1990 Eagle Talon Tsi Turbo 2.0

Already Tried:
My problem is that the just stalls while running. After it stalls it could not be started again--we have to jumper the battery to get it running. After it just got jumpered it runs for a while in idle then it stalls again. I've replaced the battery with mfg. recommendation amps. The old battery has been in used for one year and there's 4 more years remaining. With the new battery, the car still stalls and still needs jumper to get it started. I guess its not the battery, could it be the alternator or sparkplug wires? Can anyone help? Thanks.

Category: Car
Expert:  Steelpig replied 9 years ago.
You have at least 2 different problems. Lets consider the battery first. When you attempt to start the car without the jump, are there any noises, like clicking? Do they dash lights dim, or go off? Do the Tach or gas gage do anything?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: When you start the car without the jump, the dashboard lights are off and the parking lights are dim, you hear clicks of the struggling starter motor. When the car is jumpered and idling, everything works and looks normal.

After jumpstarging, I rev for 5 minutes at high RPM to charge the battery and went around the block, but when I turned off the engine and restarted car wouldn't start - you could hear the starter click with a weak crank.

One time, I left the car for a day, to my surprise when I started the car in the afternoon it started without problem, but then the next day, the car wouldn't start again. I reside in San Jose, California and temp is in mid 50's at night to low 70's during day this time of year.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 years ago.
Hello
I see you have replace the battery and your still having problems. Maybe the battery is not the problem. Based on you description of the problem it sounds like it's not charging. If you have a multi-meter, check the charging system. Simply hook up the 2 test leads to the battery, red positive and black negative. Start the engine and raise the RPM's a little, the charging voltage should be between 13.8v and 15.0v no less than 13.8 and no more than 15.0. If the charging volts are less than 13.8 chances are the alternator is bad or the drive belt is loose.
If your not comfortable nor have the test equipment to perform this task, take your vehicle to a PEP BOY's for a free diagnosis. They offer that type of service.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 years ago.
I forgot to mention that there are a lot of people who put a new battery in first. I noticed that you said the battery is NEW therefore we can rule the battery out. Your description stating that the car will run with a jump and dies shortly after is what my answer is based on. I'm trying to save you money and time. If you follow my advice with a FREE test from PEP BOY's you can't lose.