Dan, Automotive Management
Experience:  36 Plus Years of Direct Automotive Experience

Where is the thermostat located on a 2001 Pontiac Aztek

Customer Question

My Aztek overheated today. I purchased a thermostat assuming that is the problem after checking the obvious things such as coolant levels etc. I can not find the location for the thermostat. Can someone help me with this?

Optional Information:
2001 Pontiac Aztek 3400

Already Tried:
Checked all coolant levels

Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 10 years ago.
Your self diagnosis of the problem could very well be the thermostat. The new cars today can be very confusing when it comes to locating commonly known parts like a thermostat. Normally you can count on the thermostat being at the reverse side of the upper radiator hose, not the case now. Look at the opposite side of the cylinder head and you'll probably find the thermostat housing. It may be hard to access but I'm sure with patients you'll get it done. Make sure you use an approved sealant for bonding the parts together, in most cases gaskets are not used. I really hope I resolved the problem for you. I'm sure you checked your belt tension and all the othe normal overheating issues...