Brian
Brian, Service Engineer
Experience:  Master Tech, Bachelor's of Science in Automotive Technology, Ford Factory Trained
367936

1999 Ford Mustang: V6..automatic..The shifter gets stuck in park

I have a 1999 Ford Mustang V6 automatic. The shifter gets stuck in park. The button will not push in. I have had this car for 4 years and have never had this problem. Please help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
From your owner's manual:

Brake-shift interlock

This vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature that
prevents the gearshift from being moved from P (Park) unless the brake
pedal is depressed.

If you cannot move the gearshift out of P (Park)

with the brake pedal depressed:

1. Apply the parking brake, turn ignition key to

LOCK, then remove the key.

2. Insert the key and turn it to OFF. Apply the brake pedal and shift to N (Neutral).

3. Start the vehicle.

If it is necessary to use the above procedure to

move the gearshift, it is possible that a fuse has

blown or the vehicle’s brakelamps are not operating properly. Refer to Fuses and relays in the Roadside emergencies chapter.

page 97

Fuses 35 and 17 supply power to the shift lock actuator. The fuses are in the box under the dash, make sure they are not blown.

If the fuses are blown, there may be damaged wiring somewhere. If
the fuses are not blown, it could be something broken inside the
shifter handle that would require disassembly to determine. You can
remove the shift handle after removing the screw pictured below:

Wiring can also fail and not cause fuses to blow. Knowing for sure
what is wrong will require further diagnosis, especially if it is not
something wrong with the shift lock actuator.

Sometimes the brake pedal position switch that is above the brake pedal fails also, causing the brake lights to be inoperative.

Brian, Service Engineer
Experience: Master Tech, Bachelor's of Science in Automotive Technology, Ford Factory Trained