Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

can you change the oil pan gasket without pulling the ...

Customer Question

can you change the oil pan gasket without pulling the motor? in a 95 ford ranger 2wd 3.0 liter

Optional Information: 1995 Ford ranger 3.o v
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
Yes, but oil pan gaskets don't leak very often it's usually a front or rear crank shaft seal that is misdiagnosed.Here are the instructions.

3.0L Engine

See Figure 4

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the oil level dipstick.

3. Remove the fan shroud. Leave the fan shroud over the fan assembly.

4. Remove the motor mount nuts from the frame.

On models equipped with distributor ignition, failure to remove the distributor will damage or break it when the engine

1. If equipped, mark and remove the distributor assembly from the engine.

2. Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the oil level sensor wire.

3. Drain the engine oil from the crankcase into a suitable container and dispose of it properly.

The EPA warns that prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause a number of skin disorders, including cancer! You should make every effort to minimize your exposure to used engine oil. Protective gloves should be worn when changing the oil. Wash your hands and any other exposed skin areas as soon as possible after exposure to used engine oil. Soap and water, or waterless hand cleaner should be used. < wid=9 height="100%"> < wid=1 bgColor=#8c8c8c height="100%"> <> < vAlign=bottom align=left wid=10 colSpan=2 height=10> < vAlign=bottom height=1> < vAlign=bottom wid=10 colSpan=2 height=10>

1. Remove the starter motor from the engine.

2. Remove the transmission inspection cover.

3. Remove the right hand axle I-Beam. The brake caliper must be removed and secured out of the way. Refer to the necessary service procedures.

4. Remove the oil pan attaching bolts, using a suitable lifting device, raise the engine about 2 inches. Remove the oil pan from the engine block.

Oil pan fits tightly between the transmission spacer plate and oil pump pickup tube. Use care when removing the oil pan from the engine.

1. Clean all gasket surfaces on the engine and oil pan. Remove all traces of old gasket and/or sealer.

To install:

1. Apply a 4mm bead of RTV sealer to the junctions of the rear main bearing cap and block, and the front cover and block. The sealer sets in 15 minutes, so work quickly!

2. Apply adhesive to the gasket mating surfaces and install oil pan gasket.

3. Install the oil pan on the engine block.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Oil pan installation for the 3.0L engine

1. Tighten the pan bolts EVENLY to 9 ft. lbs. working from the center to the end position on the oil pan.

2. Install low-oil level sensor connector. Lower engine assembly to original position.

3. Install right hand axle I-Beam. Install the brake caliper. Refer to the necessary service procedures.

4. Install transmission inspection cover. Install starter motor.

5. Lower the vehicle and install the fan shroud.

6. Install motor mount retaining nuts. If removed, install distributor assembly.

7. Replace the oil level dipstick. Connect the battery ground. Fill crankcase with the correct amount of new engine oil. Start engine and check for leaks.

8. If equipped with distributor ignition, check the base ignition timing.