Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician

1999 chevy: push button 4x4..indicator light..unlock..transfer case

Customer Question

i have a 1999 chevy 1500 z71 with push button 4x4 . the last time i locked it in 4 low it would not come out - the indicator light will work when button is pushed but actually does not lock or unlock the transfer case ? has anyone else had this problem and do you have advice on where i should start?

Optional Information: 1999 Chevrolet 1500 5.3
Already Tried:
nothing - locked in 4 low now
Category: Car
Expert:  Michael replied 10 years ago.
Make sure you are moving at less than 10 MPH in drive.Push the 2wd button and place the shifter to neutral on the fly(while moving).It should go in to 2wd.Unless you stop the transfer at just the right spot the 4x4 will not engage or disengage.If you do not use it often it's just freezing up on you.You have to use it from time to time so it won't do this.Just engage and disengage it a few times a month.Is the light blinking when you push the 2wd button?If it is the signal is being sent and the transfer just hasn't wound down to a spot where it can free up.You can also try moving in reverse at low speed and try to disengage it.My 03 Sierra z71 has the same system.Do you still have the owners manual?
Expert:  Davo replied 10 years ago.
I want you to ground pin #13 of this connector and then turn the key on.Count the flashes on your push button switch.A code will blink and will be seperated from the next code by a 3 second pause if more than 1 code is present.If only 1 code is present it will keep repeating until the key is turned off.Try clearing the codes when done by

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Remove the 10 amp CTSY LP and the 20 amp ATC fuses from the I/P fuse block.

Important: Replacing the fuse before the specified time may result in not clearing the DTCs.

3. Wait a minimum of 60 seconds before replacing the fuse. Once the fuse is replaced DTC 1 will be set in the transfer case shift control module.
  4. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN and back OFF five times in order to clear DTC 1 from the transfer case shift control module memory.
  5. Verify that the DTCs have all been cleared.

Expert:  Davo replied 10 years ago.
This is the connector to ground pin #13 it's under the dash on the drivers side and is the same one used to check for codes with a scan tool. Object Number: 68793  Size: CH
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: actually i just bought a new motor the transfer case that locks it in and out of 4 wd
Expert:  Davo replied 9 years ago.

Are you saying you replaced the transfer case shift motor and it still won't work?