Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1999 Olds Intrigue: My battery light battery..wiring harness

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Olds Intrigue. My battery light came on, a tech told me I needed a new battery & alternator belt, replaced those but light came on again. Said I needed t replace alternator wiring harness; replaced connection, light still on. Finally replaced alternator - battery light still comes on after driving approx. 20-25 miles. What else could it be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 years ago.
This problem will need to be diagnosed. Obviously guessing isnt getting u anywere But fustrated. Correct? If u are paitent I will walk u through this. Do u have a voltmeter? If not get one. You can pick one up for cheap at a local parts store. They come in extremely handy anyway. Respond soon if you are interested
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Just to clarify, I haven't been guessing, I've been doing what the technicians said needed doing. I was just wondering if there was some fuse or something that no one had bothered checking, since they've supposedly fixed the only 4 parts to the charging system. The first tech said he ran an eletrical diagnosis and that my alternator was fine; the second tech said when he put a hot gun on it, it didn't charge properly, so replace the alternator. I don't have a voltmeter, but can get one this evening. Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 years ago.
When the batt. light comes on, put your volmeter on the batt. It should be no less than 13.5 volts. If it is lower the alt is not charging. Check ALL the inputs to the alternator. They should have batt volts. If not start tracing wires back until u find the break.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Okay, I accepted. So you are telling me it is probably a broken wire, even though we've already replaced the alternator wiring harness? Guess I'd better get my son in on this one. I hate to take it to a dealer when I've already paid two different technicians over $300 plus the cost of the alterntor to diagnose/fix the problem! Oh, and I will have to be offline for a couple of hours. Can I still talk to you later this evening?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Amedee originally said he would 'walk me through it'. I accepted his answer, but is his last answer complete, or can I talk to him again? This is my first time and I'm not sure how it works.