Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

I need to replace the front right door handle and lock which

I need to replace the front right door handle and lock which was broken in an attempt to steal my radio. I have found a replacement door handle with lock. I have had the lock rekeyed so that my key will work. Now I need to replace the door handle.
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 11 years ago.

You will have to remove the inside door panel. The linkahe and retainer nuts are accessed from the inside of the door.

Here are the instructions

See Figures 3 thru 8

1. On vehicles without power windows, place a soft cloth under the window regulator handle and pull upwards on the cloth to release the snapring. Remove the regulator handle and plate.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Using a taped prytool, carefully remove the bezel portion of the handle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the bezel by pulling towards the tip of the handle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove any screw covers ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: ... and extract any retaining screws from the door panel

1. Remove the screw from the inside handle and slide the handle forward. Disconnect and remove the handle from the control link.

2. On manual mirrors, remove the setting screw and knob. Tape the end of a thin flat-bladed tool and pry the retainer loose to remove the cover.

3. If equipped with power windows, remove the power window switch from the and armrest.

4. Remove the mounting screws and remove the armrest from the door panel. Remove the inside door handle bezel by pushing rearward.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Carefully pry the edge of the door panel around the outer edges, then remove the door panel

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Once the door panel is removed, make sure to disconnect all wiring

1. Remove the door courtesy light by pulling outward. Disconnect the electrical wiring.

2. Remove the two screw caps and speaker cover(s). Remove six screws from the trim panel.

3. Remove the door pocket from the panel.

4. Tape the end of a thin bladed tool, then insert the tool between the door panel and door and pry the panel outward. Disconnect the electrical wiring after the panel is free and remove the panel from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Connect the electrical wiring, if equipped, and install the trim panel onto the door.

2. Secure the trim panel with the mounting screws, then install screw caps and speaker cover(s).

3. Install the door pocket.

4. Install the armrest and secure with the mounting screws. Install the power window switch as required.

5. Install the door courtesy lamp. Install the inside handle bezel.

6. Install the outside rear view mirror cover and retainer. On manual mirrors, install the knob and setting screw.

7. Connect the inside handle to the control link. Install the handle, slide it rearward and install the screw.

8. With the door window fully closed, install the window regulator and handle.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: How do I remove the outside door handle once I get the inside door panel off?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Ok, I will give it a try.