Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech
304197

car has clicking noise and key is not in ignition!

gmc yukon 2003
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
what are is the noise left right side of dash underhood?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: under dashboard, driver side
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
Some customers may comment on a clicking noise coming from the I/P cluster or gauge needle sticking. Also reports of the DIC displaying Trip A or Trip B on 2003 or 2004 vehicles after an replacement IPC is installed                    Root cause appears to be the stepper motor in the cluster. Due to the magnitude of this concern, certain I/P clusters are now on backorder and the electronic service centers can not meet the demand for new/or remanufactured clusters. Enhancements have been made to the stepper motors and IP clusters. The supplier has made available a significant number of replacement clusters to address the back order condition. These clusters include improvements to internal rotors and a new motor design which will address concerns with noise and gages. The Electronic Service Centers (ESC) should be able to address dealer orders going forward as a result of better communication with the supplier. Until backorder situation is completely resolved, most replacement IPC clusters will be 2005 model year part numbers.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: did i note that the car doesn't start?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
nope you didnt is the after you attempt to start it in the theft or security light on ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
non theft or security on. i opened the door and nothing happened. no "chimes" when door opened.
car is still not on. getting a beeping noise and fuel and temp gauges are moving. car is still off. tried to get battery jumped off, but no luck. nothing comes on when the key is put in the ignition
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
you have any way to check system volyage voltmeter?   make sure all fuses have 12 v key on and battery also has 12 v static voltage
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: i'm getting meter hooked up now to check battery and fuses. you think it might be either one? don't think it's the alternator do you? will let you know after the guy brings the meter.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
alternator could cause batter to go dead but should still take a jump if battery and cables you were using were good
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: tech wants me to change to battery and i am doing so, if this doesn't fix the issue, i may need you again, can you stay online?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
i will be online for a while yet
Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience: master tech