Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

remove a ignition lock cylinder for a 1994 jeep cherokee sport.

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 9 years ago.

Removal & Installation

Without Air Bag

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

1. Remove the turn signal switch.

2. Insert the key in the lock cylinder and turn it to the ON position.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Using a pair of needle nose pliers, remove the key warning buzzer switch and contacts from the steering column

1. Remove the key warning buzzer switch and contacts AS AN ASSEMBLY using needle-nosed pliers, or a paper clip with a 90° bend.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Lock cylinder retaining screw

Some steering columns may have a retaining screw holding the lock cylinder in the column. When servicing this type, simply remove the retaining screw and remove the lock cylinder.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Using a small thin bladed tool, press in the ignition lock clinder retaining tab ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: ... then pull out the lock cylinder from the steering column

1. With the ignition switch still in the ON position, insert a thin screwdriver into the slot adjacent to the switch attaching screw boss (right-hand slot). Depress the spring latch located at the bottom of the slot to release the lock cylinder.

2. Remove the lock cylinder.

To install:

1. To install the lock cylinder, turn the key to the LOCK position. Insert the lock cylinder in to the housing far enough to contact the drive tang. Force it inward and move the ignition switch actuator rod up and down to align the components. When the components align, the cylinder will move inward and the spring-loaded retainer will snap into place locking the lock cylinder in the housing.

If the lock cylinder is retained by a screw, tighten the screw to 40 inch lbs. (5 Nm).

1. Install the key warning buzzer switch.

2. Follow the ignition switch installation procedures to adjust the ignition switch.

3. Install the turn signal switch.

With Air Bag

Please refer to the ignition switch removal and installation procedure.