Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1998 ford contour: easiest way..a broken timing belt..timing marks

Customer Question

What is the easiest way to replace a broken timing belt on a 1998 ford contour 2.0 doc? We are having trouble finding the timing marks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 9 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 10

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: If you plan on reusing the timing belt, make sure you note the direction of the rotation before removal

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: If the special tool is unavailable, a suitable length and width straight edge can be used to align the camshafts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Camshaft alignment using the special service tool

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Insert the crankshaft damper bolt to turn the crankshaft and ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: ... align the camshafts and the ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: ... crankshaft before removing the old belt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Loosen the timing belt tensioner pulley bolt, slide the tensioner back and ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: ... tighten the bolt to the farthest right hand side as possible to hold the release the tensioner pulley so that the belt can be removed

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: ... remove the belt starting from around the camshaft pulleys

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Installation of the tensioner spring and retaining bolt

For information on timing belt recommended replacement interval, refer to General Information & Maintenance .

CAUTION

The 2.0L engine is an interference motor. Extending the replacement interval could lead to the belt breaking and severe and costly engine damage. Care must be taken if rotating the crankshaft or camshafts with the belt off, if resistance is felt, do not force them to turn.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the timing belt covers as outlined in this Section.

3. Remove the valve cover.

4. Place Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH or equivalent, into the slots of both camshafts at the rear of the cylinder head to lock the camshafts into position.

If the special tool is unavailable, a suitable length and width straight edge can be used to align the camshafts.

1. Loosen the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt and move the tensioner pulley to relieve the tension on the timing belt.

2. Temporarily tighten the tensioner in this position.

If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the belt for the direction of rotation before removing to prevent premature wear or failure.

1. Remove the timing belt.

2. If required, remove the sprockets as follows:

1. Hold the camshaft with an appropriate camshaft sprocket holding tool.

2. Loosen and remove the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt.

3. Remove the sprocket from the camshaft.

4. Repeat the procedure for the 2nd camshaft sprocket.

5. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.

3. Slide the crankshaft sprocket onto the crankshaft aligning the key-way.

4. Align the camshafts using the Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH.

1. Reinstall the sprockets onto the camshafts and loosely install the camshaft retaining bolts.

2. Tighten the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm) .

3. Loosely install the crankshaft pulley to verify that the engine is at TDC. Realign the marks if they have moved.

4. Verify that the camshafts are aligned.

It is recommended to purchase a tensioner spring and retaining bolt through the dealer parts to apply the proper tension for used or new belt installations. The spring is bolted to the tensioner assembly and becomes a part of the engine. Ignore this notice if the tensioner spring is already installed.

1. Reinstall the retaining bolt (W700001-S309) into the hole provided in the cylinder block and place the tensioner spring (6L277) between the bolt and the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley.

2. Tighten the retainer bolt to 71-97 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm) .

3. Remove the crankshaft pulley and install the timing belt onto the crankshaft sprocket, then onto the camshaft sprockets working in a counterclockwise direction.

4. Tighten the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm) .

5. Be sure that the span of the camshaft timing belt between the crankshaft sprocket and the exhaust camshaft sprocket is not loose.

6. Be sure that the camshaft timing belt is securely aligned on all sprockets.

7. Reinstall the lower timing belt cover and tighten the retaining bolts to 53-71 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm) .

8. Apply silicone sealer to the key-way of the crankshaft pulley and install. Tighten the retaining bolt to 81-89 ft. lbs. (110-120 Nm) .

9. Inspect the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley to verify that the engine is still at TDC.

10. Loosen the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt and allow the tensioner spring attached to the pulley to draw the tensioner pulley against the camshaft timing belt.

11. Remove the camshaft alignment timing tool from the camshafts at the rear of the engine.

12. Turn the crankshaft two revolutions in a clockwise direction.

13. Tighten the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt to 26-30 ft. lbs. (35-40 Nm) .

14. Recheck that the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC for the No. 1 piston, and that both camshafts are in alignment using the camshaft alignment timing tool.

A slight adjustment of the camshafts to allow the insertion of the camshaft alignment timing tool is permissible as long as the crankshaft stays at the TDC location.

1. An appropriate camshaft sprocket holding tool can be used to move the camshaft sprocket (s) if a slight adjustment is required.

2. If a camshaft is not properly aligned, perform the following procedure:

1. Loosen the retaining bolt securing the sprocket to the camshaft while holding the camshaft sprocket from turning with the sprocket holding tool.

2. Turn the camshaft until the camshaft alignment timing tool can be installed.

3. Verify that the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC for the No. 1 cylinder.

4. While holding the camshaft sprocket with the camshaft sprocket holding tool, tighten the retaining bolt to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm) .

5. Remove the tool and rotate the crankshaft two revolutions (clockwise) .

6. Verify that the camshafts are aligned and that the crankshaft is at TDC for the No. 1 cylinder.

3. Install the valve cover.

4. Install the timing belt covers.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

INSPECTION

See Figures 11 through 18

An inspection of the timing belt should be performed at least any time the upper timing belt cover is off. If the timing belt shows any signs of failure, it should be replaced. Recommended timing belt replacement intervals can be found in General Information & Maintenance of this repair guide.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Check for premature parting of the belt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: Check if the teeth are cracked or damaged

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Look for noticeable cracks or wear on the belt face

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: You may only have damage on one side of the belt; if so, the guide could be the culprit

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Foreign materials can get in between the teeth and cause damage

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: Inspect the timing belt for cracks, fraying, glazing or damage of any kind

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 17: Damage on only one side of the timing belt may indicate a faulty guide

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 18: ALWAYS replace the timing belt at the interval specified by the manufacturer

Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.