Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

98 mazda protege dx: timing mark..overhead cam..the camshaft marks

Customer Question

would you happen to know the timing mark settings for a '98 mazda protege dx 1.5l dual overhead cam. The book I am using has the camshaft marks straight across with i straight up on the left cam & e straight up on the right. every time I try this I still have missfires. also tried adjusting dis. cap
appreciate your time
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 11 years ago.

Everything I'm seeing shows the 1.5 as a single overhead

<> <> <> <> <> <>

Copyright © 2002 Delmar, All Rights Reserved.

1995 1.6L, 1995-98 1.5L and 1.8L (except K8) DOHC Engines

See Figures 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the timing belt covers.

3. Turn the crankshaft until the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket aligns with the timing mark on the oil pump.

4. On the 1.5L engine, ensure that the Z mark on the camshaft sprocket is pointing straight up and the two notches are even with the valve cover gasket surface.

5. On the 1.6 and 1.8L engines, align the E and the I marks on the camshaft sprockets are aligned with the marks on the backing plate (they should point down and towards each other at approximately a 45° angle).

1. .

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 11: Cam and crankshaft sprocket alignment marks for the 1995 1.6L and 1995-98 1.8L (except K8) DOHC engines

<> <> <> <> <> <>

Fig. 12: Cam and crankshaft sprocket alignment marks for the 1.5L engine

1. Remove the crankshaft pulley lockbolt and pulley boss.

2. Lower the vehicle. Insert a camshaft sprocket holding tool between the camshaft sprockets.

3. Loosen the tensioner pulley lockbolt. Pull the tensioner pulley away from the center of the engine to reduce the tension on the timing belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Loosen the tensioner lockbolt and pull it away from the belt to reduce the tension on it

1. If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the direction of rotation on the timing belt. Remove the timing belt.

2. To remove the tensioner, unhook the tensioner spring, and remove the pulley lockbolt and tensioner.

3. If necessary to remove the sprockets:

1. Hold the camshaft by using a wrench on the cast hexagon, and loosen the sprocket mounting bolt.

2. Remove the sprocket bolt and the sprocket from the camshaft.

3. If equipped with a manual transaxle, place the shift lever in 4th gear and apply the parking brake. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the flywheel dust cover and install a flywheel locking tool to hold the flywheel.

4. Remove the crankshaft sprocket bolt, sprocket and key.

To install:

1. On the 1.5L engine, install the camshaft sprocket, aligning the dowel with the letter Z mark.

2. On the 1.6L and 1.8L engine, install the camshaft sprocket, aligning the dowel (which should be pointing straight up) with the letter I mark on the intake side, and the letter E mark on the exhaust side.

3. Install the camshaft sprocket bolt. Hold the camshaft, on the cast hexagon, with the wrench and tighten the bolt to 37-44 ft. lbs. (50-60 Nm).

4. Install the crankshaft sprocket and key. Align the keyway with the timing mark on the oil pump housing.

5. Install the crankshaft sprocket bolt. Install the flywheel locking tool, if equipped with automatic transaxle, or place the shift lever in 4th gear and apply the parking brake, if equipped with manual transaxle. Tighten the bolt to 116-122 ft. lbs. (11-20 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: Install the timing belt onto the sprockets following the numbered sequence for 1995 1.6L and 1995-98 1.8L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Install the timing belt onto the sprockets following the numbered sequence for the 1.5L engine

1. Make sure the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets are still aligned.

2. If removed, position the tensioner with the spring fully extended, and install the lockbolt tightening the mounting bolt to 28-38 ft. lbs. (38-51 Nm).

3. Install the timing belt. If reusing the original timing belt, make sure it is installed in the same direction of rotation.

4. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 1 5/6 turns and align the timing marks. Make sure all marks are still correctly aligned.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: Measure the timing belt deflection to determine if the proper tension has been set

1. Loosen the tensioner lockbolt to apply tension to the timing belt. Tighten the tensioner lockbolt to 28-38 ft. lbs. (38-51 Nm). Remove the holding tool from between the camshaft sprockets.

2. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 2 1/6 turns and make sure all marks are still correctly aligned.

3. Raise and safely support the vehicle. Install the crankshaft pulley lockbolt and boss. Tighten the bolt to 116-122 ft. lbs. (11-20 Nm).

4. Install the timing belt covers.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.