Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

2001 chevy cavalier: the thermostat and/or water pump location..2.4L

Customer Question

where is the thermostat and/or water pump location on a 2001 chevy cavalier w/a 2.4L engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 9 years ago.

They are both in the back of the engine below the exhaust manifold. The T-stat is in a pipe below the pump.

2.4L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Negative battery cable
    • Oxygen (O2S) sensor electrical connector

3. Drain the cooling system.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Heater hose from the thermostat housing
    • Upper exhaust manifold heat shield
    • Exhaust manifold brace-to-manifold bolt
    • Lower exhaust manifold heat shield
    • Manifold-to-exhaust pipe spring loaded bolts, break the loose using a 13mm box wrench

WARNING
    It is necessary to relieve the spring pressure from 1 bolt prior to removing the 2nd bolt. If the spring pressure is not relieved, the exhaust pipe will twist and bind the bolt during removal.

• Both radiator outlet pipe-to-water pump cover bolts

5. Remove the manifold to exhaust pipe bolts from the exhaust pipe flange as follows:

1. Unscrew either bolt clockwise 4 turns.
    2. Remove the other bolt.
    3. Remove the first bolt.

WARNING
      DO NOT rotate the flex coupling more than 4 degrees or damage may occur.

6. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold by pulling it downward
    • Radiator outlet pipe from the oil pan and transaxle
    • Exhaust manifold brace, if equipped with a manual transaxle
    • Outlet pipe by pulling it downward from the water pump leaving the lower radiator hose attached

NOTE: Allow the radiator outlet pipe hang.

• Exhaust manifold from the cylinder head, discard the seals and gaskets
    • Timing chain cover and tensioner
    • Water pump and timing chain housing as an assembly, then separate them

Fig. 2: Exploded view of the water pump mounting and related components — 2.4L engine

To install:

7. Thoroughly clean and dry all mounting surfaces.
  8. Install or connect the following:

• New gasket
    • Water pump to the cover and tighten the bolts finger-tight

NOTE: Lubricate the splines with clean grease

• Water pump using new gaskets and tighten the bolts and nuts finger-tight
    • Radiator outlet pipe O-ring, lubricated with antifreeze
    • Radiator outlet pipe onto the water pump cover and tighten the bolts finger-tight

9. With all gaps closed, torque the bolts, in the following sequence, to the proper values:

• Pump assembly-to-chain housing nuts: 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
    • Pump cover-to-pump assembly: 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
    • Cover-to-block, bottom bolt first: 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
    • Radiator outlet pipe assembly-to-pump cover: 125 inch lbs. (14 Nm).

10. Install or connect the following:

• New gaskets
    • Exhaust manifold
    • Exhaust pipe to the manifold. Tighten the exhaust pipe flange bolts evenly and gradually to avoid binding, until fully seated.
    • Radiator outlet pipe to the transaxle and oil pan
    • Exhaust manifold brace, if removed
    • Timing chain tensioner and front cover
    • Lower heat shield
    • Exhaust manifold brace to the manifold
    • Torque the manifold-to-exhaust pipe nuts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm)
    • Upper heat shield
    • O2S electrical connector
    • Negative battery cable

11. Refill the cooling system until it comes out of the thermostat housing heater hose outlet; then, connect the heater hose. Leave the radiator cap off.
  12. Start the engine. Run the vehicle until the thermostat opens, refill the radiator and recovery tank, then turn the engine OFF.
  13. Once the vehicle has cooled, recheck the coolant level.