Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

2000 Dodge Durango: instructions for replacing a heater core

Would anyone be able to provide instructions for replacing a heater core in a 2000 Dodge Durango? Is it necessary to remove the dash, if so instructions needed.
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 9 years ago.

HEATER CORE

Dodge Dakota and Durango

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

CAUTION
    After disconnecting the negative battery cable, wait 2 minutes for the driver's/passenger's air bag system capacitor to discharge before attempting to do any work around the steering column or instrument

2. Remove the instrument panel by performing the following procedure:

1. Remove the trim from the right and left door sills.
    2. Remove the trim from the right and left cowl side inner panels.
    3. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.
    4. Remove the 2 hood latch release handle-to-instrument panel lower reinforcement screws and lower the release handle to the floor.
    5. Disconnect the driver's side air bag module wire harness connector.
    6. If equipped, disconnect the overdrive lockout switch harness connector.
    7. Do not disassemble the steering column but remove the assembly from the vehicle.
    8. From under the driver's side of the instrument panel, disconnect or remove the following items:

• The screw from the center of the headlight/dash-to-instrument panel bulkhead wire harness connector and disconnect the connector.
      • The 2 body wire harness connectors from the 2 instrument panel wire harness connector that secure the outboard side of the instrument panel bulkhead connector.
      • The 3 wire harness connectors from the 3 junction block connector receptacles located closest to the dash panel; 1 from the body wire harness and 2 from the headlight/dash wire harness.
      • The plastic park brake release linkage rod-to-rear parking brake release handle lever. Disengage the linkage rod from the handle lever.
      • The stoplight switch connector.
      • The vacuum harness connector from the left side of the heater/air conditioning housing assembly.

9. Remove the instrument panel center support bracket.
    10. Remove the instrument panel wire harness ground screw located on the left side of the air bag control module (ACM) mount on the floor panel transmission tunnel.
    11. Disconnect the instrument panel wiring harness-to-ACM connector receptacle.
    12. Remove the glove box.
    13. Working through the glove box opening, disconnect or remove the following items:

• The 2 halves of the radio antenna coaxial cable connector near the center of the lower instrument panel.
      • The antenna half of the radio antenna coaxial cable from the retainer clip near the outboard side of the lower instrument panel.
      • The blower motor wire harness connector located near the heater/air conditioning housing assembly support brace.

14. From the passenger's side, disconnect or remove the following items:

• The 2 instrument panel wire harness connectors from the infinity speaker amplifier connector receptacles on the right cowl.
      • The instrument panel wire harness radio ground eyelet-to-stud nut on the right cowl.

15. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws.
    16. Remove the 5 top instrument panel-to-dash panel screws.
    17. Pull the instrument panel rearward until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the roll-down slot position of both brackets.
    18. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel; secure the other end to the top of the dash panel. The hook is to support the instrument panel in its rolled down position.
    19. With the instrument panel in the rolled-down position, disconnect or remove the following items:

• The 2 instrument panel wire harness connector from the door jumper wire harness connectors located on the right bracket.
      • The instrument panel wire harness connector from the blower motor resistor connector receptacle.
      • The temperature control cable flag retainer from the top of the heater/air conditioning housing assembly. Pull the cable core adjuster clip off the blend-air door lever.
      • The demister duct flexible hose from the adapter on the top of the heater/air conditioning housing assembly.

20. With aid of an assistant, lift the instrument panel from the vehicle.

3. If equipped with air conditioning, perform the following procedure:

1. Discharge and recover the air conditioning system refrigerant.
    2. Disconnect the refrigerant line from the evaporator inlet and outlet tubes. Plug the openings to prevent contamination.

4. Drain the cooling system into a clean container for reuse.
  5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core. Plug the openings.
  6. Remove the 4 heater/air conditioning housing assembly-to-chassis nuts.
  7. Remove the heater/air conditioning housing assembly-to-mounting brace nut; the nut is located on the passenger side of the vehicle.
  8. Pull the heater/air conditioning housing assembly rearward for the studs and drain tube to clear the dash panel hole.
  9. Remove the heater/air conditioning housing assembly from the vehicle.
  10. Remove the heater housing cover screws and the cover.
  11. Remove the heater core from the heater/air conditioning housing assembly.

Fig. 1: View of the instrument panel assembly — Dodge Dakota and Durango

Fig. 2: View of the heater/air conditioning assembly — Dodge Dakota and Durango

Fig. 3: View of the heater core — Dodge Dakota and Durango

To install:

12. Install the heater core to the heater/air conditioning housing assembly.
  13. Install the heater housing cover and the cover screws.
  14. Install the heater/air conditioning housing assembly.
  15. Install the heater/air conditioning housing assembly-to-mounting brace nut; the nut is located on the passenger side of the vehicle.
  16. Install the 4 heater/air conditioning housing assembly-to-chassis nuts.
  17. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core.
  18. If equipped with air conditioning, perform the following procedure:

1. Using new gaskets, connect the refrigerant line to the evaporator inlet and outlet tubes.
    2. Evacuate and charge the air conditioning system.

19. Install the instrument panel by performing the following procedures:

1. With aid of an assistant, install the instrument panel into the vehicle.
    2. With the instrument panel in the rolled-down position, connect or install the following items:

• The demister duct flexible hose to the adapter on the top of the heater/air conditioning housing assembly.
      • The temperature control cable flag retainer to the top of the heater/air conditioning housing assembly.
      • The instrument panel wire harness connector to the blower motor resistor connector receptacle.
      • The 2 instrument panel wire harness connector to the door jumper wire harness connectors located on the right bracket.

3. Move the instrument panel forward until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the roll-down slot position of both brackets.
    4. Install the 5 top instrument panel-to-dash panel screws.
    5. Install the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws.
    6. At the passenger's side, connect or install the following items:

• The 2 instrument panel wire harness connectors to the infinity speaker amplifier connector receptacles on the right cowl.

7. Working through the glove box opening, connect or install the following items:

• The antenna half of the radio antenna coaxial cable to the retainer clip near the outboard side of the lower instrument panel.

8. Install the glove box.
    9. Connect the instrument panel wiring harness-to-ACM connector receptacle.
    10. Install the instrument panel wire harness ground screw located on the left side of the air bag control module (ACM) mount on the floor panel transmission tunnel.
    11. Install the instrument panel center support bracket.
    12. Under the driver's side of the instrument panel, connect or install the following items:

• The vacuum harness connector to the left side of the heater/air conditioning housing assembly.
      • The stoplight switch connector.
      • Engage the linkage rod to the handle lever. Install the plastic park brake release linkage rod-to-rear parking brake release handle lever.
      • The 3 wire harness connectors to the 3 junction block connector receptacles located closest to the dash panel; 1 at the body wire harness and 2 at the headlight/dash wire harness.
      • The 2 body wire harness connectors to the 2 instrument panel wire harness connector that secure the outboard side of the instrument panel bulkhead connector.
      • Connect the connector. Install the screw at the center of the headlight/dash-to-instrument panel bulkhead wire harness connector.

13. Install the steering column assembly.
    14. If equipped, connect the overdrive lockout switch harness connector.
    15. Connect the driver's side air bag module wire harness connector.
    16. Install the 2 hood latch release handle-to-instrument panel lower reinforcement screws and lower the release handle to the floor.
    17. Install the steering column opening cover to the instrument panel.
    18. Install the trim to the right and left cowl side inner panels.
    19. Install the trim to the right and left door sills.

20. Refill the cooling system.
  21. Connect the negative battery cable.
  22. Run the engine to normal operating temperatures; then, check the climate control operation and check for leaks.

Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience: ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.