Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.

97 mitsubishi montero timing belt install

Customer Question

I have replaced the water pump in my 97 mitsubishi montero. the timing belt had to be removed. how do I replace the timing belt, making sure the timing is still set properly? It has dual overhead cam also. When I removed the belt, one of the cams sprung to the left and now it is off set from the other. I need detailed instructions on installing the timing belt again as to not have to tear the front of the engine apart again to correct it. Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 8 years ago.
What is the engine size?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to autodoc_2000's Post: 3.5 V6
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have this exact diagram but I need to know if I need to readjust the cam settings. The reason I ask is because when I took the belt off the passenger side cam sprung back to the left and the timing for that side is off. The driver side is dead on. Do I need to move the crank shaft to be able to adjust the passenger side cam back to the timing mark. Right now, if I turn the cam with a sock wrench, it springs to the right about an inch past the mark. If I go back the other direction it springs about 1 inch off to the left of the mark.
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

I don't see a DOHC 3.5 liter V6 engine for mitsubishi

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I know it's strange and I have subscribed to AllDataDIY.com and they show the one that I have as a SOHC but clearly in the section for timing belt removal it has 2 cams. Not sure what that is but???
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

1. To install:
  2. Hold the hexagonal portion of the camshaft with a wrench when tightening the camshaft sprocket bolt and tighten to 64 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
  3. If removed, install the tensioner and hook the upper end of the spring to the water pump pin. Install the lower end of the spring to the tensioner in exactly the same position as originally installed.
  4. Position both camshafts so the timing marks align with those on the alternator bracket (rear bank) and inner timing cover (front bank). Rotate the crankshaft so the timing mark aligns with the mark on the oil pump.
  5. Install the timing belt on the crankshaft sprocket, and while keeping the belt tight on the tension side (right side), install the belt on the front camshaft sprocket.
  6. Install the belt on the water pump pulley, then the rear camshaft sprocket and the tensioner.
  7. Rotate the front camshaft counterclockwise to tension the belt between the front camshaft and the crankshaft. If the timing marks came out of line, repeat the procedure.
  8. Install the crankshaft sprocket flange.
  9. Loosen the tensioner bolt and allow the spring to tension the belt.

WARNING
    If any binding is felt when adjusting the timing belt tension by turning the crankshaft,

STOP turning the engine, because the pistons may be hitting the valves.

10. Slowly turn the crankshaft 2 full turns in the clockwise direction until the timing marks align. Now that the belt is properly tensioner, tighten the tensioner lockbolt to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
  11. Install the upper and lower covers to the engine and secure with the retaining screws. Be sure the packing is positioned in the inner grooves of the covers properly when installing.
  12. Install the crankshaft pulley if it was removed. Tighten the bolt to 110 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).
  13. Install the air conditioning bracket and compressor on the engine. Install the belt tensioner.
  14. Install the power steering pump into position. Install the fan pulley and fan.
  15. Install the fan shroud to the radiator.
  16. Refill the cooling system.
  17. Connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for fluid leaks.

18. Engine Timing Belt/Chain Illustration

Figure 1

Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

A DOHC V6 would have 4 cams
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have another question in line with the timing on the rear cam. It is off to the left of the mark about 15-20 degrees. Everything else lines up. I took the number 1 spark plug out and placed a coat hanger in it and turned the crank until it began to fall from rising and it matched the crank shaft mark. The front cam shaft is dead on mark as well. the instructions indicate to set each cam to the mark but I cannot get the rear one to line up. Is this an indication that there could be something wrong? Remember that I mentioned earlier that when I took the belt off to replace the water pump, the rear cam sprung to the left to the current position that is about 15 degrees off. Is there any explanation? Thanks By the way, I guess I do have a SOHC.
Expert:  Marc replied 8 years ago.

The valves are spring loaded and that cam is going to want to turn, you have to hold it in place until you get the belt around it, Even if the belt is not around all the other pulleys yet it should help to hold it in place.

You may need a helper to hold it in place while you route the belt.

If you need further help please feel free to post back.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: One last question. I have everything put back together and have verified that everything is connected as it was before. When the water pump failed it must have thrown the timing belt off because the crank shaft sensor blade was bent on 2 of the 3 blades. The reason that I mention this is because the truck will not start now that everything is back as it was. I matched the timing marks as instructed, turned the crank 2 full times and timing was still on mark. Could the sensing of the crank shaft blade have caused the computer to shut the engine down and it needs to be reset by the dealer? By the way, the rtuck does turn over but doesn't start. Almost like there is no fuel making it to the system. THanks