Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.

I need the timing marks on a 97 mitsubishi eclipse DOHC 2.0 Turbo

Customer Question

Iam replacing the timing belt on a 97 mitsubishi eclipse 2.0 DOHC turbo I need the timing procedure
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 8 years ago.

1995-98 TURBO ENGINES

See Figures 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the engine undercover.

3. Remove the engine mount bracket.

4. Remove the drive belts.

5. Remove the belt tensioner pulley.

6. Remove the water pump pulleys.

7. Remove the crankshaft pulley.

8. Remove the stud bolt from the engine support bracket and remove the timing belt covers.

9. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise to line up the camshaft timing marks. Always turn the crankshaft in the forward direction only.

10. Loosen the tension pulley center bolt.

If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the direction of rotation on the flat side of the belt with an arrow.

1. Move the tension pulley towards the water pump and remove the timing belt.

2. Remove the crankshaft sprocket center bolt using special tool MB990767 to hold the crankshaft sprocket while removing the center bolt. Then use MB998778 or equivalent puller to remove the sprocket.

3. Mark the direction of rotation on the timing belt B with a arrow.

4. Loosen the center bolt on the tensioner and remove the belt.

5. To remove the camshaft sprocket, remove the cylinder head cover. Use a wrench to hold the hexagonal part of the camshaft and remove the sprocket mounting bolt.

WARNING <>Do not rotate the camshafts or the crankshaft while the timing belt is removed.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 26: Timing belt routing and component identification-1995-98 2.0L turbo engine

To install:

1. Use a wrench to hold the camshaft and install the sprocket and mounting bolt. Tighten the bolt(s) to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).

2. Install the cylinder head cover.

3. Place the crankshaft sprocket on the crankshaft. Use tool MB990767 or equivalent to hold the crankshaft sprocket while tightening the center bolt. Tighten the center bolt to 80-94 ft. lbs. (108-127 Nm).

4. Align the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket B and the balance shaft.

5. Install timing belt B on the sprockets. Position the center of the tensioner pulley to the left and above the center of the mounting bolt.

6. Push the pulley clockwise toward the crankshaft to apply tension to the belt and tighten the mounting bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm). Do not let the pulley turn when tightening the bolt because it will cause excessive tension on the belt. The belt should deflect 0.20-0.28 in. (5-7 mm) when finger pressure is applied between the pulleys.

7. Install the crankshaft sensing blade and the crankshaft sprocket. Apply engine oil to the mounting bolt and Tighten the bolt to 80-94 ft. lbs. (108-127 Nm).

8. Use a press or vise to compress the auto tensioner pushrod. Insert a set pin when the holed are lined up.

WARNING <>Do not compress the pushrod too quickly, damage to the pushrod can occur.

1. Install the auto tensioner on the engine.

2. Align the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket and the oil pump sprocket.

3. After aligning the mark on the oil pump sprocket, remove the cylinder block plug and insert a Phillips screwdriver in the hole to check the position of the counter balance shaft. The screwdriver should go in at least 2.36 in. or more, if not, rotate the oil pump sprocket once and realign the timing mark so the screwdriver goes in. Do not remove the screwdriver until the timing belt is installed.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 27: After the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket is lined up, remove the block plug and insert a screwdriver to assure proper alignment

1. Install the timing belt on the intake camshaft and secure it with a clip.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 28: Keep the timing belt in position using a bulldog clip

1. Install the timing belt on the exhaust camshaft. Align the timing marks with the cylinder head top surface using two wrenches. Secure the belt with another clip.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 29: Use 2 wrenches to align the marks with the top of the cylinder head

1. Install the belt around the idler pulley, oil pump sprocket, crankshaft sprocket and the tensioner pulley.

2. Turn the tension pulley so the pinholes are at the bottom. Press the pulley lightly against the timing belt.

3. Screw the special tool into the left engine support bracket until it contacts the tensioner arm, then screw the tool in a little more and remove the pushrod pin from the auto tensioner. Remove the special tool and Tighten the center bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 30: Use a torque wrench and adapter to apply tension to the timing belt-1995-98 2.0L turbo engine

1. Turn the crankshaft 1/4 turn counterclockwise and then clockwise until the timing marks are aligned.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 31: View of the proper timing mark alignment-1995-98 2.0L turbo engine

1. Loosen the center bolt. Install special tool MD998767 on the tension pulley. Turn the tension pulley counterclockwise with a torque of 2.6 ft. lbs. (3.5 Nm) and tighten the center bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm). Do not let the tension pulley turn with the bolt.

2. Turn the crankshaft two revolutions to the right and align the timing marks. After 15 minutes, measure the protrusion of the pushrod on the auto tensioner. The standard measurement is 0.150-0.177 in (3.8-4.5 mm). If the protrusion is out of specification, loosen the tension pulley, apply the proper torque to the belt and retighten the center bolt.

3. Install the crankshaft pulley. Tighten the mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

4. Install the water pump. Tighten the mounting bolts to 6.5 ft. lbs. (8.8 Nm).

5. Install and adjust the drive belts.

6. Install the engine mount bracket.

7. Install the engine undercover.

8. Connect the negative battery cable.