Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

How to remove radiator from 1999 buick regal LS

Customer Question

how to remove radiator from 1999 buick regal LS
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 9 years ago.

The radiator removal procedure is similar among all of the GM W-Body vehicles. A variety of bolts, nuts, clips and fasteners are used. The following procedure should suffice for all W-Body vehicles.

CAUTION
Use care when working underhood around the cooling fans. The fans are controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to come on at a certain temperature, even with the engine turned off. Always disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent the fans from starting without warning.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the coolant from the radiator.

CAUTION
    Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.

3. Remove the engine mount strut. Some technicians will disconnect just one and swing the strut out of the way. In this case, loosen the through bolts to prevent shearing the rubber bushings when the strut is moved out of the way for radiator removal. In some cases, it is best to remove the strut and its mounting bracket completely.
  4. Separate the cooling fan harness connector from the engine harness.
  5. Separate the low coolant level module harness connector at the module.
  6. Disconnect the radiator hoses.
  7. Remove the cooling fan assembly from the vehicle.
  8. Disconnect the automatic transaxle cooling lines from the radiator
  9. There should be two small retaining brackets at both ends of the radiator that are removed.
  10. Carefully lift the radiator up and out of the vehicle. Note that the bottom should have locating pins on each end which should fit into grommet-like rubber mounts at installation.