Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

timing marks on Mitsubishi Montero Sport

I am currently changing the timing belt on my 1999 Mitusbishi Montero Sport. The crank gear has a timing mark "dot" on it, but I can't find the "mark" on the block that it lines up with. There is a small "ridge" on the block, and an electrical fitting over the sprocket. I can't tell which one it is. Help!!
What engine do you have?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: I have a 3.0 V6

Here ya go

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thanks for your response - but I have this diagram (I got it from alldata). I just still cannot tell what the timing mark is. Is it a "ridge" on the block? I found the timing dot on the crankshaft sprocket, but am still not sure about the mark on the engine. I'll go out and look at it again. I'll check the post again in a few minutes.

It's pretty clear when you explode the picture like this. There is a pointer pointing at the mark just to the right of what looks like the crank sensor directlly above the crank. The mark is at about 2 O'clock right behind the belt. There should be something on the housing right in that area.

OK, I just found a closeup of the crank mark. It really doesn't get any better than this.