Firsthogman
Firsthogman, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 years as a mechanic on all type equipment.
192379

1993 dodge stealth: non turbo..the car up it wouldnt start

Customer Question

MY name isXXXXX just bought a 1993 dodge stealth non turbo 3.0 DOHC. When I went to pick the car up it wouldn't start. We had spark through one coil pack only. We messed around a little and got it started. we csame back to get the car and the same thing happened. Only spark out of one coil pack. All of the coil packs are good as we have switched them around and alll create spark. All of the fuses are good. I am completey out of ideas and hope that you can help me. Thanks, Joe
Category: Car
Expert:  Firsthogman replied 11 years ago.
We will need a little more information than you have provided in order to help. Does the starter turn it fast enough, it sound okay? Does it hit at all, back fire anything?

If not it most likely isn't getting fuel. Turn the switch on and see if you hear the fuel pump run. You could also take a line loose and see if fuel spurts when you turn the key on.(Be Careful)

Any engine needs Air, fuel, and fire in the proper amounts and at the right time to run.
It sounds like you have fire, so fuel is the next most likely thing to be missing.

If this helps please hit accept Thank You,
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Firsthogman's Post: The starter turns fast enough. There is and occassional backfire when it has been sitting and the key is turned to the on position. Also it has backfired a little when turning over but very rarely. we only have spark to one coil pack. This leaves 4 cylinders w/o spark. we also had the plugs out and they are wet meaning they are getting fuel. It seems like the only thing we don't have is spark out of two coil packs. we have replaced the battery and put all new fuses in. Could it possibly be a cam or crank sensor or the ECU. Thanks for your fast reply and I hope you can help me out.

Thanks again, Joe
Hello Joe,

The only sensors that I believe would affect this are the crankshaft position sensor and the downstream O2 sensor. Your car might or might not have the DSO2. I am having some trouble finding a engine control diagram for your exact vehicle.

I believe the problem is in the Power control module coil drivers. This unit can be affected by the CPS, but the normal symtom would be not to fire at all in that case.

I will keep looking and post some more later.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Firsthogman's Post: Thanks for these ideas. I am going out of town in the next couple of days for a few weeks. When I get back I will try these ideas and see if we get any positive results. Also I was woundering where the Power control module coil drivers are. Thank you again and if you have any more ideas let me know. AS I said when I get back i will investigate these ideas and hopefully they work and i will accept with a good chance of a bonus. Thankyou again for all of your help, Joe

Hi Joe,
   I still have not found a manual or diagram for you car. Everything I have found points to either the wiring harness between the PCM and the coil packs or the divers, they are built in the PCM.
   I will continue to look until I hear from you. If I come across anything that would be beneficial I will post it.

Thanks
Have a safe trip,

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
93 dodge stealth. Non turbo. 3.0 DOHC V6. When it turns over 2 coil packs spark. When the key is released and i stop turning the motor over the third coil pack will fire once or twice. When the motor starts one of the coil packs that sparks when the key is turned sops working and the other on works. I have changed coil packs and put and ignition control module in and it has not helped.                          Could it possibly be crank or cam sensor. Other than this i have no ideas. Could you please give me any suggestions on how to get my car running. I would greatly appreciate it. Thankyou, Joe
Expert:  Firsthogman replied 10 years ago.
It is possiable it is the ignitin switch. The starter selinoid or relay furnishes the voltage for the coils during cranking then the switch picks it up once you turn the key lose. It could be bad and droping the voltage. Check to see if the coils are hot with just the hey turned on.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
They are hot when just the key is on. Does that mean the switch is bad?

Thanks for the help, Joe