Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1992 Buick: liter engine..engine cranks..quits..few minutes it cranks

Customer Question

My 1992 Buick 3.8 liter engine cranks and runs normal and then just quits. When recranked it turns over but does not crank. After sitting for a few minutes it cranks normally. Regards, John
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 11 years ago.
The way it has to be diagnosed is during that period that it isn't starting, you need to check for spark, injecter pulse and correct fuel pressure to isolate the correct system. Post back with the results.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: I have no gauges to check for injector pulse or fuel pressure. As far as spark all I know is that when the car sits for a few minutes it cranks normally and drives OK. I have owned this car for 9 years and is has 240,000 miles it has always been a first turn over first crank car. It runs great super and this problem started when a I had a/c compressor put on and they put a exterior ground wire to one of the square breaker in the engine compartment. There is also a 30 amp fuse that when I pull it the A/C compressor does not run. The mechanic said that I needed to keep this fuse in when I wanted the A/C to run. Granted this sound dumb but old car and low budget you take the help you can get. Now I notice that my console has a light that give a (low fuel warning)when the tank is full. This light stays on for a few minutes and goes off. I really believe it is some kind of electrical problem but just don't know how to approach the issue. John

If you can't perform the tests, then I can't tell you what is making it die.

Quote:
I really believe it is some kind of electrical problem but just don't know how to approach the issue

I just told you how it has to be approached. No matter who diagnoses it, that the procedure they have to use. Until they know which system is dropping out, they can't begin to guess which part is failing.