Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

2000 mustang with major problems

I have a 2000 mustang v6 and getting these diagnostic codes. P0135 P0141 P0155 P0156 P0161 P0171 P0412 P0443 P1152 P1409 P1451. The car has a major loss of power. The engine wont go above 3500 rpm while in gear. whenever the car is under load (going up hill) there is a loud spark knocking, and there is a big hesitation when the accelerator is pressed down. The engine also shakes pretty bad. What do these codes mean and how can these problems be fixed?

Most of those codes deal with power supply issues.

The first 5 are all heater circuit problems with all 4 O/2s

That probably a fuse problem

The others deal with power supply problems to other solonoids. I'll see if I can get you some schematics for it.

Ok, you need to check all your fuses. The evap and EGR solonoid both run off fuse # XXXXX in the central junction box, 20A. All the O/2 heaters get their power fromn the PCM so check all your fuses for power in and out of them.

It could also be a ground problem with thosae circuits to check all your grounds everywhere on the car. You may have to do some pin tests on the computer to resolve it also.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
ok thankyou. I checked all the fuses and did find a blown 20 amp fuse. but the engine seems to be running the same as before. right now there are no diagnostic codes when scsanned to go by. The car is having all of these problems because a while ago the engine caught on fire and burned all of the wiring and hoses. I have been having these problems with the engine ever since then so I replaced all the engine wiring harnesses with new factory ones. so I dont think there is anything wrong with any grounds? I think I'm having problems with the egr system because of the vacuum lines. because the fire destroyed all of them I dont know if I have them connected properly. I dont know what you have access to as far as diagrams but if at all possible do you have a diagram of the vacuum routing for this car? could some of these problems be because of the vacuum lines being connected wrong? or am I on the wrong track to figuring out some of these problems? if you dont have any diagrams or have time to get them then is there a way to figure out if the vacuum lines from the intake manafold through the egr system are connected properly? Thankyou for your time and effort!
I don't seem to have access to any diagrams from home but I can check Alldata on Monday. If your EGR is sticking or energizing at idle, it will run pretty bad at idle.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thankyou for your help. I'll check to see if the egr valve is sticking. I dont think that would be the problem because its a brand new valve. the egr regulator and solenoid are also new. the only things that have not been replaced that I can think might cause some of these problems are the throttle body and idle air control valve. everything else on the engine that could have melted has been replaced.

Quote:
I dont think that would be the problem because its a brand new valve.

The valve is not the issue, it would be the loose carbon in the system getting caught in it or the incorrect vacuum routing applying vacuum when it shouldn't.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
ohh ok. I went to work lastnight and the engine light came back on. now I'm getting codes P0171 P0304 and P0305. system to lean bank 1. misfire detected cylinders 4 and 5. I know that cylinders can misfire because of the lean condition (I think) and maybe thats what is causing the loud spark knock or pinging? I dont know what system to lean bank 1 means. bad o2 sensor? Once again thankyou for your time. its helped me out a lot :)I promise no more questions. I have taken up enough of your time.
The lean code can be an O/2 sensor but it usually isn't. You would need a DVOM or scanner with data to test it. You would artificially enrich the engine with some carb cleaner in a vacuum line and watch to see if the O/2 voltage spikes up over 800-900mv. The more common cause is a bad vacuum leak or bad MAF. The Fords are notorious for sucking a hole right through the rubber elbows that connect major vacuum lines to the intake manifold. They are usually very well hidden on the underside of the manifold and close up when the car is shut off making them hard to see. Listen closely for any hissing noises and follow them. The misfiring cylinders being side by side may not be a coincidence. Check that area closely.
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience: ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
The other day while driving it the idle stuck at around 2000 rpm after coming to a stop and then very slowly went back to normal. At idle I can hear a "gulping" sound coming from the MAF every once in a while. When the car is under a heavy load the sound gets really loud and more constant until engine rpm rises. The MAF sensor checked out to be fine. I'm still confused about the way the vaccum lines are supposed to be connected. there are two vacuum ports on the manafold that are side by side. From there they go to the egr system. I'm not sure what goes where to the egr valve, solenoid, and so on. I applied vaccum directly to the egr valve. It wouldn't allow vaccum to be applied any higher than 2-5" HG. and when that vaccum was applied the engine rpm went way down and the engine shook real bad. The DPFE sensor, regulator, and solenoid are all fine. I'm still getting a code for the o2 sensor bank 1. How can I fix this? I cant find any vaccum leaks either or at least I dont hear any.

Here's what I could find for you on the vacuum lines.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
All of the vacuum lines are connected properly and are in good shape. now I'm getting two codes. P0153 fuel control system fault and PO171 air fuel ratio too lean for pcm to correct. If there are no vacuum leaks then what could be causing both of these codes to appear?

P0153 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

That's an indication of a bad O/s sensor. It's bank 2 with is the passenger side. That could also give you the lean code.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: the o2 sensor problem is fixed. it was a bad sensor. but the car is still running the exact same way. i pulled the spark plugs out of the engine. the plugs that came out of cylinders 1 2 &3, the tips were perfectly white as if they arn't firing. the other three 4 5 6 where brown. I checked for a spark and to see if they were actually firing and all six cylinders are firing. it seems like under load though cylinders 1 2 and 3 arn't firing. I'm still getting the PO171 code when scanned. all plug wires, plugs and coil pack are brand new. please help what could be the problem?