Joe Barcus
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  50 yrs old lol
83467

1994 honda accord: blowing cold..the compressor..expansion valve

Customer Question

i have a 1994 honda accord. the a/c was not blowing cold and we took it local to get fixed. they replaced the compressor, condenser, dryer/evaperator, expansion valve. they placed a minimal amount of freon in the system because if added any more the high pressure would go crazy. they also blew out all the lines. the air will not blow colder than 60 degrees. they do not know what else to do. are there any other tricks
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

If they did not put in the exact required amount of refrigerant, but only a "minimal amount" then the system will not operate as designed and will not get cold. A full charge level is essential for the system to be able to transfer heat.

If the high side pressure is out of range there are several possible causes:

(1) Incorrect refrigerant type. This system was likely designed to operate on R-12 refrigerant (check for a label under the hood listing the correct type of refrigerant for the system). If someone has added an incorrect refrigerant such as R-134a, it will likely not cool as well as originally designed, and will probably be showing abnormally high pressure on the high side of the system.

(2) Cooling fan not operating: If air is not flowing through the condenser core, it will not be able to radiate the heat away and high side pressure will go through the roof.

(3) Faulty expansion valve or condenser: If refrigerant flow is blocked or restricted due to a faulty component, low side pressure will drop towards zero and high side pressure will keep going up untiill all of teh refrigerant is pumped into the high side of the system and trapped there.

I hope this is helpful; if so, clicking my accept button would be most appreciated! thanks!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: Hello ,

This is Jill's husband (Dennis.

) The refrigerant type is R-134a as per the label under the hood.

The High pressure side will freck out if you add any more than the min. amount on the label (under the hood), note this is with the system not being run to even try to warm up.

The cooling fan is working correctly.Amd I'm not sure about the expansion valve or condenser.

Also the air now gets to 50 degrees for about 2 min. and then stays at 60 degrees all the time.

someone please help

thank you Dennis
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
without the car running place gauges on both sides see if they are the same before starting, than start car turn ac on watch gauges low side should pull down to 30 beings its a expansion valve it may be a little higher depending on the temp inside the car. high side should go up to 200 to 225, shut the car off and see if the system balance's. if it takes a long time you have a blockage, it should balance in about 10 sec. now if they did replace the expansion valve did they get the bulb attached to the line? and also did they wrap the bulb? these two things are very important and if not done right will cause the system not to pull down to the full load of the evaporator. a half filled eva will cause your system to only work half way and will cause temps like this to happen, also will drive high side up. seems like the most likely thing it coudl be, beings they replaced the parts you said, and it makes sense that this coudl also be possible for they did fool with the expansion valve.
should read could not coudl lol wow two typos