Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

1996 Pontiac Sunfire: it at the moment... # the passenger side window

Customer Question

my friend has a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire.... she has several issues with it at the moment... # XXXXX passenger side window will not move...when we started to look into this problem we originally discovered that the connection from the switch to the regulator was disconnected. Once we connected it the window moved slightly then once again stopped. is this a problem with the motor or the regulator?
additionally the ac doesnt hold a charge... about 3 days after a charge it will blow hot air, however no leaks are apparent
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 11 years ago.

Your window problem could be the motor or the regulator. It will take a little more investigation to determine which it is. You will have to take the door panel off and visually inspect the regulator for obvious damage and watch it try to operate to see if anything is jamming it. That's probably the reason they disconnected it.

The A/C leak is pretty simple. You have to get it leak tested. Most shops charge under $40 for this and can advise you what is needed to repair it. I'm surprised you don't already know with having it charged multiple times. Didn't the shop check it first?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: the power window isnt jamming and it appears that the regulator has hydraulic fluid all around the exterior... but it isnt on the door itself
There's nothing hydraulic in there. That may be somebody trying to lubricate the window channel or regulator. It's obvious somebody has tried to fix it and couldn't so they unplugged it.
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience: ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: ok this is getting strange, and hopefully it is completely unrelated. this morning the sunfires brakes are frozen and when idling the car sputters badly jumping during idle from about 1000 to 1500-2000 rpm.