Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

1987 acura legend: Car runs..fuel filter..crank sensor..wiring harness

1987 accura legend 2 door auto trans. Car runs ok for 4 or 5 miles, then loses power/dies tach drops to 0. Following have been replaced. Fuel pump (pressure tests ok), fuel filter, tps, ignition module, computer under passanger seat, crank sensor and engine wiring harness.
Your first going to have to determine if your losing spark, injecter pulse or fuel pressure or a combination of them.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: Tester shows losing spark and injector signal testor goes dim, fuel pressure stays good all the time, also engine will occassionally backfire and pop out exhaust. Exhaust will sometimes appear rich(dark smoke). New rotor cap wires and plugs also.

Is your check engine light coming on/

Have you checked for stored codes?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: Yes check engine light comes on. Nobody in area has adapter to fit computer so retained codes cannot be read. It has some leds that flash occassionally but do not stay on. A local mechanic has the car now and is not able to fix it. Some of the items previously replaced did not test properly and were replaced, they were the manifold temp and the throttle assy w/ tps. When they were replaced the incorrect values I believe it was too high voltage were still present. The rest of the items, top dead center sensor, ignition module, computer were best guess. The age of the car is making it difficult to get diagnostic equipment. The nearest dealer is 120 miles away. Will try and answer all questions, however I have not worked on the car, or driven the car. Just paying for repairs--dumb me.

You can easily read manual codes on that car. Here are the codes and the procedure.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes - 1987
Acura

1
2
Oxygen Sensor Circuit.
3 MAP Sensor Electrical Circuit.
5 MAP Sensor Mechanical Problem.
6 Coolant Temperature (TW) Sensor Circuit.
7 Throttle Angle Sensor Circuit.
8 Crank Angle (TDC) Sensor Circuit.
9 Crank Angle (CYL) Sensor Circuit.
10 Intake Air Temperature (TA) Sensor Circuit.
13 Atmospheric Pressure (PA) Sensor Circuit.
14 Electronic Idle Control Valve (EICV) Circuit.

Self-Diagnosis Indicator:
When the PGM-FI warning light has been reported on, turn the ignition on, move the front passenger seat to the rear position and observe the LED on the front of the ECU. The Red LED indicates a system failure code by blinking frequency .

If LED indicates CODE 2, 4, 11, or exceeds 14, count the number of blinks again. If the indicator is in fact, blinking these codes, substitute a known-good ECU and re-check. If the indication goes away, replace the original ECU.

Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience: ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: I talked to the auto technician today. He stated usually code 1 or 2 would display. When checking the left and right O2 sensors they would test within spec until engine would run bad then the voltage would increase (showing a rich condition). On one occassion the car gave a code 12 (he showed egr). On another occasion the unit showed a code 8. While replacing and monitoring any sensor he unpluged the unit would immediately show the sensor unplugged. By the way the local tech had the codes, but the car is not displaying the problem. Also he stated the unit under the seat does not have any leds. He said the unit mounted to the floorboard and under the floor mat had the led. He stated the car is loosing spark and I believe he said loosing coil voltage.
It's going to take a good scan tool to determine just what is happening with all the sensor data when it goes bad. You could have a bad computer there.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: computer was replaced with a recycled computer and symptoms did not change. thanks anyway