Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

GMC: good advice..highway, I try to go and the car shuts..shuts down

Customer Question

I have an 01' GMC Jimmy that my wife and I have put over $800 into. I really need some good advice. When I stop the car at a light, after being on the highway, I try to go and the car shuts down as if someone turned the key to off. It only does this on hot days. It ran fine all winter long and then the first hot day it started acting up again. Please let me know what I should try. I have already replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the fuel injectors, had some ground wiring replaced, changed the control module, and the coolant. After it acts up it needs to set for a while and cool and then it will run again. It always starts back up, it just doesn't always get very far. It is very irregular. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Brandon Bosley [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 11 years ago.
The first step for correct diagnosis is to test for spark and fuel pressure at the time the problem is occuring. This will isolate which system is having a problem. That engine requires about 60lbs of fuel pressure and is very fussy if it doesn't get the right amount.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: The fuel pressure has been checked twice. A computer diagnosis machine, Tech 2, has been hooked up to it three times. By a dealer and two other well known mechanics. They tell me it needs to act up for them while it is being tested. This is obviously hard to do while it's in motion.

It also has something to do with it getting hot. This car only acts up on hot days. I know it's wierd, but when the outside temperature gets 90 degrees or above the car shuts down until aloud to cool. Do you know of a sensor besides the control module that is heat sensative that could be the problem. Thank you

Brandon

You've been told by 4 mechanics now that it can't be fixed when it's not acting up. You can throw parts at it all day and be no closer than you are now.

There are many components that can be heat sensitive. The crank sensor is the most likely, but again, that's just an educated guess. We normally don't act on guesses without confirmation.

Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
Im with hammer on this one, I had a pont do the same thing it did this for over a month never knew when it was going to act up, one day it stopped and did not come back, come to find out it was <crank sensor> not saying that this is the same but it sure is wearing the same colors.
Expert:  michael replied 11 years ago.
You need to replace the coil.

A coild usually will not fail that way. They will just prevent you from giving full throttle. When the resistance reaches the coils capacity, it breaks down. It's usually a gradual breakdown also.

\The crank sensor is the most likely component.